none
Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: Error authenticating proxy IAM\xyz, system error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.). The step failed.

Question

• Please help me with the permanent solution for the following error.

Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: Error authenticating proxy IAM\arao, system error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.).  The step failed.

I created a SSIS package and scheduled it to run daily at 7am. Till yesterday it was working fine. But yesterday I changed my windows password and today morning I got the above error. So, I changed the credential account password(which will be used in the proxy account) to new password and again it started working fine.

But I know this is not the permanent solution since windows passwords will change periodically. What is the permanent solution to fix this issue. Please help.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:44 PM

Answers

• The permanent solution is to use a service account that is not associated with a person and has a non-expiring, strong password.
    Arthur My Blog
    By: TwitterButtons.com
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:51 PM

All replies

• The permanent solution is to use a service account that is not associated with a person and has a non-expiring, strong password.
    Arthur My Blog
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:51 PM
  • How can I create one? Can you please assist me with this ?
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Please read this one on how to properly schedule SQL Agent jobs containing SSIS packages:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/Schedule__Run__SSIS__DTS.aspx

Arthur My Blog
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:13 PM
  • The job executor account is better to be used to create SSIS package and so you are sure the job executor account has the right to run this SSIS package.

1. How can I use the job executor account to create SSIS package?

2. What about if I create a account for proxy as explained in the link you have posted and create a SSIS package with my USERID? will there be any problem ? By default SSIS package will take computer userid right?  

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:27 PM
  •  

I created a New Sql Server Authentication login with no password expiration and used that in Credentials. Now I'm getting the following error. Please Help.

Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: Could not get proxy data for proxy_id = 4).  The step failed.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Ensure the SQL Agent Account was set up using the SQL Configuation snapin NOT services snapin. Try changing the SQL Agent account to local system then back to your domain account USING SQL Configuraion snapin!!

Friday, January 25, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Just in case others have gotten here for the same reason.  Make sure that the account your proxy/credential is using is a user in its default database in SQL Security.

We went through all the other suggestions and until we did this, for some reason that was causing it to pass a Null SID when it was trying to authenticate to AD.

• Edited by Krychek67 Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:33 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:33 PM