none
Users created during by SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed SQL Server Express 2017. There are 21 windows users created by SQL Server and they are named like this: <instance name>[00 - 20]. Why does SQL Server instance need those users and can they be removed? The reason I am asking is because I have Windows Server 2019 Essential which allows only 25 users so if it is possible, I hope I can remove those users. 

Thanks! 

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:17 PM

Answers

• Thank you all for responding to my question. Sorry for late reply. I actually figured it out and resolved my issue yesterday shortly after I submitted my question. 

I have worked on many SQL Server versions before but I only started to use 2017 Express this year and found this issue that affected the compliance of the licensed Windows Users on the 2019 Essential edition. It was related to a new feature in SQL Server - Machine Learning - which I did not exclude when I did the installation. When you pick this feature, the installation will create 21 users for each instances by default, shown as below (it looks like this forum does not allow me inserting image). So once I removed the Machine Learning features (which allows R Scripts and Python scripts), those users were removed too. At least right now, we do not need this feature and we are only allowed to have 25 Windows users. 

• Marked as answer by Sam323 Thursday, September 5, 2019 6:38 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hello Friend,

Are these logins or Users?
    I am unaware of these logins and the main users may have come from some backup.

Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Analista de Banco de Dados - Sql Server e Oracle ]

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 6:29 PM
  • I have installed SQL Server Express 2017. There are 21 windows users created by SQL Server and they are named like this: <instance name>[00 - 20]. Why does SQL Server instance need those users and can they be removed? The reason I am asking is because I have Windows Server 2019 Essential which allows only 25 users so if it is possible, I hope I can remove those users. 

Thanks! 

Good day Sam,

It could be more useful if we could see what are the users which you are speaking about - screenshot can provide the information. Another option is to execute the following query:

select * 
    from sys.server_principals

21 windows users which are added as sql server login during the installation seems a lot if you only installed the SQL Server Engine, but you probably installed all the extended services.

SQL Server is actually a SET of services and during the installation you have the option to select which services you want to add (install). You also have option to select who is the windows user which will run these services. By default for each service a separated windows user is created and for all these users an SQL Server LOGIN is created. This is probably why you see so many LOGIN in the server whoch are related to windows users.

For example the following image show several of these services and users:

More information you can see in the following article:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/23878.sql-server-2014-step-by-step-installation.aspx

You should NOT do anything without understanding what you do, and no one in the forum can read your mind and see what you see. In order to discuss specific user we will need to get more information, but in general these users are probably related to different services of SQL Server which you added. Yet, 21 seems way to many in SQL Server Express simple installation.

Note! don't confuse between SQL Server LOGIN, Windows Users, and SQL Server USER. These are three totally different entities. My guess is that you are talking about windows user and sql server logins, since this what relevant to the installation.

Please provide more information as I asked in the beginning of this message

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 7:03 PM
  • Hi Sam323,

>> I have installed SQL Server Express 2017. There are 21 windows users created by SQL Server and they are named like this: <instance name>[00 - 20]

How did you get them? Could you please share us a screenshot about these windows users to help us understand your issue? 

Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 5, 2019 2:42 AM
  • Thank you all for responding to my question. Sorry for late reply. I actually figured it out and resolved my issue yesterday shortly after I submitted my question. 

I have worked on many SQL Server versions before but I only started to use 2017 Express this year and found this issue that affected the compliance of the licensed Windows Users on the 2019 Essential edition. It was related to a new feature in SQL Server - Machine Learning - which I did not exclude when I did the installation. When you pick this feature, the installation will create 21 users for each instances by default, shown as below (it looks like this forum does not allow me inserting image). So once I removed the Machine Learning features (which allows R Scripts and Python scripts), those users were removed too. At least right now, we do not need this feature and we are only allowed to have 25 Windows users. 

• Marked as answer by Sam323 Thursday, September 5, 2019 6:38 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:42 PM
  • They are Windows Users as I pointed out in my question. 
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:44 PM
  • Anybody can let me know why I cannot add an image? It says it needs to verify my account but I am using it already. I did not receive any email to verify the account either. 

Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:48 PM
  • Thank you for reply, pituach. Yes, I definitely understand the difference of users. My question already indicated those were Windows Users. Please see my reply later on that I resolved my issue already. Yes, it was due to extended features. 

Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:52 PM
  • Sorry it does not allow me to share a screenshot. Anyway, I have resolved my issue. 
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:54 PM
  • Okay I know how to get my account verified. It takes time automatically but I submitted a request to expedite it. 

Thursday, September 5, 2019 5:12 PM
  • Those names are not "normal".  But it is normal for the SQL Server installation to create accounts for the service accounts.

Please see:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/configure-windows-service-accounts-and-permissions?view=sql-server-2017#Default_Accts

Thursday, September 5, 2019 5:48 PM
  • Hello Friend.

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad you solved your problem.

about uploading images, the forum allows yes.
    Do the following: Save the image to your machine and then click the image icon (insert image). Upload it and you can share the message and image.

-----------------------------------------------------

Be sure to mark the answer that helped you solve your question so that other people can easily find the same solution.

Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Analista de Banco de Dados - Sql Server e Oracle ]

Thursday, September 5, 2019 5:54 PM
  • Yes, I knew about that and was able to attach the image in my reply but I could not submit it as I got a prompt saying my account was not verified. The verification is automatic and I just need to wait for more days - I just created this account yesterday. But I figured out how to expedite the verification and sent my request already. Thanks for your time though! 

Thursday, September 5, 2019 6:36 PM
  • Those are not the service accounts. As I explained in my answer, they are Windows accounts created for running R scripts. I have resolved my issue already. 

Thursday, September 5, 2019 6:37 PM