none
SSMS 18.1 Crashed whenever a New Query is Opened RRS feed

• Question

• My SSMS 18.1 keep crashing whenever I open a new query tab. There is no information about this problem on the web.

Here is my installation and procedures:

1. SSMS 18.1 

2. WIndows 2012 Server

3. Connection to SQL Server 2012

4. Event Viewer: none

5. Repair, restart, no work 

6. uninstall, restart, re-install, restart, no work. 

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 4:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Darren Chuck,

Would you please use cmd to run the following code to start smss18.1

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe" -log D:\log.txt

You will find log.txt in the D:\ . Show  us the error message in it.

As a workaround, would you please use 18.0 first?

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:11 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem here. In fact the SQL Server Management Studio for SQL 2008 R2 keeps crashing after an automatic update of Windows. I have therefore installed SSMS 18.2 (can even not find how to remove SQL Server Management Studio in "uninstall programs") so that they coexist at the time being.

But every time I open a New Query, SSMS 18.2 crashes. Curiously if I use your command line, everything is OK.

Any idea?

Sunday, September 22, 2019 2:41 PM
  • Hi menasheu,

It is a good idea to check Windows OS Event logs for any errors pertaining to the problem.

>> "...I have therefore installed SSMS 18.2 (can even not find how to remove SQL Server Management Studio in "uninstall programs") so that they coexist at the time being..."

Some older versions of the SSMS were part of the MS SQL Server installation, not a separate installation. That's why you don't see it as an entry to uninstall.

Sunday, September 22, 2019 3:02 PM
  • I have been using SSMS 18.2 for sometimes, could not see any issues - so far so good. 

I would suggest you to uninstall all SSMS versions once and install 18.2 freshly, this might help you.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped.
     [Blog]  [LinkedIn]

Sunday, September 22, 2019 3:08 PM