none
Why I can't find the .bak file in SSMS restore window RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I know this question must be very silly, but I just can't find any setting anywhere.

The scene is, when I  try to restore a .bak database file, in SSMS restore window. If I place the .bak file in the C root folder. I can see it. But if I put in anywhere else, say, on desktop. I just can't find it in SSMS.

Would anyone tell me what should be done, or how I can do the restore?

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi M.Shami,

It could be a permission issue. Would you please give full control permission of desktop to the service account of sql server?

For more details, please refer to https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/47304/bak-file-not-visible-in-any-directory-in-ssms

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by M.Shami Monday, September 30, 2019 8:31 AM
    Monday, September 30, 2019 2:09 AM
  • SSMS traverses the directory tree through SQL Server since the typical case, SQL Server is running on another machine. The service account for SQL Server is unlikely to have access to you desktop, since that is in your Users folder.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, September 30, 2019 9:15 PM