none
BAckups in Failover cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have configured SQL Server 2008 Failover cluster with one instance on primary and other on Dr site.  Now can any one let me know how to configure backups on Dr site using Maintenance plan wizard as I am unable to choose all databases in that window.

Thanks,

Varun

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:24 PM

Answers

• .  Now can any one let me know how to configure backups on Dr site using Maintenance plan wizard as I am unable to choose all databases in that window.

Thanks,

Varun

Hello,

You can very well configure cluster between 2 nodes which are geographically dispersed.

Now to create backup on cluster is almost same on as that of Standalone cluster just make sure you give shared SQL drive not local drive while giving location for backup otherwise when failover will happen jobs will fail.

You dont have to create backup plan on 2nd node which is you calling as DR .Since SQL server is kin of shared on both nodes just creating Backup pan on activ node and selecting shred drive for backup will do.

Also if any job is running and failover happens ,job will stop and eventually fail so you need to start the job again.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Saturday, October 19, 2013 5:24 AM

All replies

• Failover cluster does not support configuring Clustering  in 2 differrent location?

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:36 PM
  • Do you mean mirroring?

Anyway, use something like Ola Hallengren's scripts. http://ola.hallengren.com/sql-server-backup.html

Thanks, Andrew
    My blog...

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:50 PM
  • .  Now can any one let me know how to configure backups on Dr site using Maintenance plan wizard as I am unable to choose all databases in that window.

Thanks,

Varun

Hello,

You can very well configure cluster between 2 nodes which are geographically dispersed.

Now to create backup on cluster is almost same on as that of Standalone cluster just make sure you give shared SQL drive not local drive while giving location for backup otherwise when failover will happen jobs will fail.

You dont have to create backup plan on 2nd node which is you calling as DR .Since SQL server is kin of shared on both nodes just creating Backup pan on activ node and selecting shred drive for backup will do.

Also if any job is running and failover happens ,job will stop and eventually fail so you need to start the job again.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Saturday, October 19, 2013 5:24 AM