NT SERVICE\SQLTELEMETRY Missing RRS feed

• Question

• Fellow SQLers.

I have been handed a number if SQL 2016 instances.  Cleaning things up. Noticed that one of them is getting a login failure with what may be a local account. While digging thru this, I noticed that NT SERVICE\SQLTELEMETRY is not a LOGIN to the sql instance.

Is that login absolutly required?  All of the other instances have it. Why it is missing is beyond me other than someone deleting it.

My plan is to add it back with correct permissions and see if for some reason the other mysterious login error vanished.

Any suggestions would be helpful with the NT SERVICE\SQLTELEMETRY necessity.

Thanks,

MG

Sunday, April 19, 2020 8:43 PM

Answers

• That's the login for the Telemetry service that "spies" on your server and sends information to Microsoft about your usage of the product. Your server will work absolutely fine without it, but whether you actaully are supported if the telemetry service is disabled, I don't know with confidence.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Sunday, April 19, 2020 9:29 PM

All replies

• That's the login for the Telemetry service that "spies" on your server and sends information to Microsoft about your usage of the product. Your server will work absolutely fine without it, but whether you actaully are supported if the telemetry service is disabled, I don't know with confidence.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Sunday, April 19, 2020 9:29 PM
  • Hi mg101,

Please check if below links could help you.

NT SERVICE\SQLTELEMETRY User
    What Queries Does Microsoft’s Telemetry Service Run On Your SQL Server?

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, April 20, 2020 2:48 AM
  • Hi mg101,

Any update? If the reply could help you, please mark the useful reply as answer.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 7:29 AM
  • HI Erland.

Many thanks as always.

Also, I did find someone with the same initial problem as I had that the telmetry login was mysteriously missing and they added it back.  https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/login-failed-for-domaincomputer

• Edited by mg101 Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:03 AM wording
    Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:03 AM