Unable to install BAM in Biztalk server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I am using Biztalk Server 2016. Previously we were not required BAM so while installing Biztalk to our Development server we skipped the step of BAM installation.

But now BAM is required so I am trying to install but I am unable to install as when I am opening the Microsoft Biztalk server configuration Wizard to install BAM Tools.

<o:p>An log file is generated and below is list of few errors from the log file:-</o:p>

• The BAM Primary Import Database found from the BizTalk Management Database BizTalkMgmtDb on server "SERVER-NAME" is not compatible.
    • Error executing bm.exe with tracing enabled. (Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.CfgExtHelper.Utility).
    • ERROR: Failed to set up BAM database(s). 
      Database 'BAMAnalysis' has compatibility level larger than 1103 with StorageEngineUsed set to InMemory. Tabular databases with compatibility level at 1200 or above must use StorageEngineUsed set to TabularMetadata.
    • <o:p>Error Configuration Framework]Feature: [BAM Tools] Failed to configure with error message [<Exception Message="Error configuring BAM Tools" Source="BAMTools" HelpID="idsErrorConfiguringTools"><Exception Message="Error executing bm.exe with tracing enabled." Source="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.CfgExtHelper.Utility" HelpID="error_ExecuteBm"><Exception Message="Error executing process: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2016\Tracking\bm.exe" Source="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.CfgExtHelper.Utility" HelpID="error_ExecuteProcess"><Exception Message="Microsoft (R) Business Activity Monitoring Utility Version 3.13.324.2&#xA;Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.&#xA;&#xA;ERROR: Failed to set up BAM database(s). &#xA;Database 'BAMAnalysis' has compatibility level larger than 1103 with StorageEngineUsed set to InMemory. Tabular databases with compatibility level at 1200 or above must use StorageEngineUsed set to TabularMetadata.&#xA;&#xA;&#xA;" Source="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.CfgExtHelper.Utility" HelpID="error_ExecuteProcess"/></Exception></Exception></Exception>]</o:p>

Please let me know in case of any further information required.

Thanks in Advance ...

RG

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Rishi,

Please go through following post Database 'BAMAnalysis' has compatibility level larger than 1103 with StorageEngineUsed set to InMemory, maybe this will be addressed in the next CU6. 

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 5:04 AM
  • Hi Mandar ,

Thanks for your reply.
    Currently I am having "Microsoft Biztalk Server 2016 Feature Update 3 installed " . Do i need to install any particular CU ??

Thanks,

RG

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 5:38 AM
  • I checked the previous CU till CU5, I was not able to find the fix to issue in till CU5, I think reinstallation of the analysis services is the only way , I would suggest you to try the approach mentioned in the above link on a development box first

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 5:41 AM
  • Till the earlier  version of BizTalk , SQL Analyisis Services could be installed in the Tabular mode (  where the Storage engine used is InMemory)

SQL Server 2016  ; there is a change SQL Analysis services and more over specific to BizTalk configuration which is unfortunately not  mentioned anywhere in BizTalk Install and configuration instructions.

SQL Analysis services 2016  comes with compatibility 1200 which is backward compatible and Database StorageEngineUsed is TabularMetadata and hence the above error occurs . BizTalk configruation tool still try to create the database with StorageEngineUsed ' InMemory' which is not applicable for 1200 compatibility version .

https://wordpress.com/block-editor/post/rashmi118.wordpress.com/21

You need to install  SQL Analysis Services 2016 in the Multidimensional  mode !! Hope this helps !!!

To change the SQL Analysis services  to Multidimensional mode without re-intsalling ,

change the SSAS \COnfig\msmdsrv.ini file to use <DeploymentMode>0</DeploymentMode>, then restart the instance. 

Happy BizTalking 😊

Rashmi 

Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:33 PM