none
Error with schema compare: "A project which specifies SQL Server 2008 as the target platform cannot be published to SQL Azure" RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to compare schemas between a SQL Server 2008 R2 database with a SQL Azure database (without the need of a database project). 

I am getting the error

"A project which specifies SQL Server 2008 as the target platform cannot be published to SQL Azure"

Before the RTW version, I used the Juneau Beta installation, which worked properly when doing this kind of comparison.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

BFC

Friday, March 16, 2012 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi BFC,

This has changed since the earlier CTPs.  In the released version you will need to set the Allow Incompatible Platform option when deploying across target platform types, which in Schema Compare is set in the Options | General tab, per below. 

You will still get the following warning: 

'A project which specifies SQL Server 2008 as the target platform may experience compatibility issues with SQL Azure.'

Let us know if you still have problems getting this to work.

Cheers,
    Bill

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:50 AM

All replies

• Hi BFC,

This has changed since the earlier CTPs.  In the released version you will need to set the Allow Incompatible Platform option when deploying across target platform types, which in Schema Compare is set in the Options | General tab, per below. 

You will still get the following warning: 

'A project which specifies SQL Server 2008 as the target platform may experience compatibility issues with SQL Azure.'

Let us know if you still have problems getting this to work.

Cheers,
    Bill

Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Fantastic! fixed my problem - thank you Bill
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:26 AM