none
session gets lost on Opening a new tab on Internet Explorer ( IE 11) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

need your expertise help/guidance  to my situation/problem described below.

I login to my application and download a pdf document which has an url pointing to another page in the same application.

we have a logic in place in the destination page that if the session is valid, it should display the information else it should go to the login the page.

what we observed that in some IE browsers, when we click on the url in the downloaded pdf document, it opens up a new tab in internet explorer as expected but instead of displaying the page contents it is being redirected to login page though the session is still valid.

it looks like in IE( some browsers) on opening a new tab, the session getting lost. it works perfectly fine in chrome and with some IE browsers.

could you please help/guide me on how to identify due to what reason the session is getting lost in IE that too not in all IE browsers, but only few IEs.

appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,

Phani

Friday, July 5, 2019 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi PhaniKumarM,

As you said issue is with only few IE applications.

So please try to find any difference in the environment, settings or application version.

If you get any difference than try to modify it as the working instance of IE and again try to make a test to see whether it is working or not.

Check the console for any warning or error message.

If issue persist than try to provide more details about the issue. If possible for you than try to provide any sample code or detailed steps to reproduce the issue.

We will try to check the issue on our side to see the results.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 5, 2019 2:35 PM
  • Hi Deepak,

Thanks for the reply.

I have asked our user to change the below setting and try,

1. whether "Always allow session cookies" is checked or not in below path
    IE browser -> internet options -> Privacy tab -> Advanced

I'll try to see what are the other differences between working and non-working browsers and try. if nothing helps, I'll get back to you. users are using the same version of the browser as we are using.

unfortunately i can't share any code due to company regulations.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Phani

Monday, July 8, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

1. whether "Always allow session cookies" is checked or not in below path

above setting is already in place in user's browser. 

could you please tell me what settings in IE might stop cookie sharing from one tab to another tab in Internet explorer.

Thank you

Phani

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 12:53 PM
  • Hi Deepak,

1. whether "Always allow session cookies" is checked or not in below path

above setting is already in place in user's browser. 

could you please tell me what settings in IE might stop cookie sharing from one tab to another tab in Internet explorer.

Thank you

Phani
    Hi Team,

Monday, July 15, 2019 11:00 AM
  • Hi PhaniKumarM,

Try to check whether all the machine in your organization has similar issue or issue is related with specific machine. 

If it is machine specific issue than try to reset the IE on those machines to check whether it helps to solve the issue or not.

If it is the issue on all the machines than try to make similar security level for all the security zones and than again try to test the issue.

If still issue persist than try to provide the sample code (Without any confidential information) with detailed steps to produce the issue.

We will try to test the issue and try to find the cause and possible solution for it.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:23 AM
  • session is a server side concept. On client side its usually represented by cookies or in some rare cases, url parameters, post data etc.

IE8 stores cookies in the frame process and automatically shares cookies to new tab in the same session (this is how the recovery tab after crashing feature get your session back). But this feature is not without bugs and I am not sure the IE team still patch bugs except for security. Also if the user created multiple IE sessions with the -noframemerging argument, a new tab could be loaded in the wrong session where the user is logged off.

Third party browsers usually use only one process and all tabs share cookie because of that. You can simulate this behavior in IE by setting TabProcGrowth to 0.

There are some other features/issues that cause cookies to be lost. But those would probably prevent a successful login in the first place.

compatibility mode

redirect between http and https

server time is in the past of client time

too many cookies per domain

persistent cookie with the same name

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:17 PM
  • Hi Deepak,

Thank you for your reply, I wonder we can't ask the clients to reset their settings unless we are sure what could have caused the problem, 

Below are the step by step instructions to see the problem

1. Login to app
    2. Download a pdf document that has the hyperlink (url), pointing to another page in the same.
    3. Open the downloaded pdf and click on the hyperlink
    4. As the user is already logged in, he/she should be taken to the page where that url points, however in this case user is being taken to login screen(IE is not recognising the existing session).

Here we have a struts HttpSession validation , checking if there is an existing session or not?

If  session exists

Goto the page that url points to.

Else

Goto login page.

Expectation: user is logged in and when he/she clicks on url in the saved or downloaded pdf document that has the url pointing to some other page in same application, user should be taken to that page without any extra login

Current behaviour : user is logged in and when he/she clicks on url in the saved or downloaded pdf document that has the url pointing to some other page in same application, user should be taken to that page without any extra login

Few points to note,

1. This functionality working as expected in Google chrome.
    2. The same functionality is working in all the IE browsers of all of our clients, except few clients (the problem described above are for few clients of this app).

Looks like on opening a new tab instead of opening new window on new tab, for those clients new session is opening on new tab. Can we know what settings would cause a new tab to open new session instead of new window.

1. Does the IE not getting the cookies of existing session there by going to login screen ( what settings might cause this behaviour ?) – individual browser level or network level for entire organisation
    2. Does the IE opens every time new session on new tab instead of new window( what settings I can make to prevent this behaviour ?) – individual browser level or network level for entire organisation

Internet explorer version used is IE11.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:47 PM
  • Hi Sheng Jiang,

Thanks very much for your advice. 

I'll check the TabProcGrowth value at our side  see if this setting impacts or not.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:58 PM