none
SQL Express and SQL 2008 R2 installed side by side? RRS feed

• Question

• This is a simple question, I hope.  One of my clients is running SQL Server 2008 R2 on a production server.  Her new phone system is demanding numerous new services, including the installation of SQL Express.  Is it possible to run these two in a side by side fashion without disrupting the existing SQL Server?  It seems to me that the proper way to do this would be to point the new program to the existing SQL Server and allow it to install and configure new database(s) as needed, but it could be that the program was designed for and only runs on SQL Express.

Could you give some guidance in this regard?

Thanks!  

Eansor

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:25 PM

Answers

• One of my clients is running SQL Server 2008 R2 on a production server.  Her new phone system is demanding numerous new services, including the installation of SQL Express.  Is it possible to run these two in a side by side fashion without disrupting the existing SQL Server?  

Yes, you can run SQL Server express side by side along with another SQL Express instance or another SQL Server edition/ version on the same machine.

I currenlty have SQL Server 2008 Developer edition running along with SQL Express 2008 R2 on my computer.

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:29 PM

All replies

• One of my clients is running SQL Server 2008 R2 on a production server.  Her new phone system is demanding numerous new services, including the installation of SQL Express.  Is it possible to run these two in a side by side fashion without disrupting the existing SQL Server?  

Yes, you can run SQL Server express side by side along with another SQL Express instance or another SQL Server edition/ version on the same machine.

I currenlty have SQL Server 2008 Developer edition running along with SQL Express 2008 R2 on my computer.

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Thank you, Chirag Shah.  I appreciate your speedy response and will accept your answer since you are doing this already on your system.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Hello,

Just a little add-in to the post of Chirag.

If you are installing a SQL Server Express later than 2005 side by side a SQL Server 2008 or later, don't install SQL Server Management Studio Express, you will replace your SSMS by the SSMSE

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:03 PM