none
Any Way to Automate BIDS SSIS Designer? RRS feed

• Question

• I just ran a tool (whose name will go unmentioned) which, in the process of doing what I asked it to do, also totally messed up the layout of my data flows.

It was easy to record a macro to do a "Select All", "Autosize", "Auto Layout Diagram". The problem is that the package has a large number of data flows, and I have to manually change the visible data flow before running my macro.

This made me wonder if anyone has any tips for automating the Designer? Do Microsoft document either the interface to the designer or to the documents it loads? I have experience doing Visual Studio Extensions, and could figure this out given an example of finding the designer and casting to the correct interface.

I tried recording the action of selecting a different data flow in the "Data Flow Task" dropdown, but it didn't record anything.

P.S. No, I'm not about to hack the XML format then do my own auto layout!

John Saunders
    WCF is Web Services. They are not two separate things.
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:09 AM

All replies

• I'd point you towards BIDSHelper.  The gents working on that project certainly do understand the SSIS/VS API, and it's open-source.  That ought to give you a few hints.  And if they don't already have a feature that applies "auto-layout" to all data flows... they would probably want one!
    Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on

Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Thanks, Todd,

I downloaded the source for that, but haven't had a chance to study it yet. Would you happen to know where in the code I should look for an example of grabbing the document from the designer?

John Saunders
    WCF is Web Services. They are not two separate things.
    Use WCF for All New Web Service Development, instead of legacy ASMX or obsolete WSE
    Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Monday, April 25, 2011 7:01 PM
  • ...I tried recording the action of selecting a different data flow in the "Data Flow Task" dropdown, but it didn't record anything...

Hello John,

I had experimented before with a tool called StrokeIt. While this tool is not SSIS specific it is useful for recording some macros that can be repeatedly executed on demand by a mouse gesture or using hot keys.

Back then I had, exactly what you said, to modify [after a migration] a myriad of DFTs (e.g. open the DFT, modify its data source conn string, etc). So, I was able to script all the limited set of operations I needed to run on demand sequentially, but alas those scripts are beyond my reach now.

Arthur My Blog
    By: TwitterButtons.com
    Monday, April 25, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Sorry, John, I don't.  I've never looked at it.  Perhaps you could post to the Discussions on the project?
    Todd McDermid's Blog Talk to me now on
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:14 AM