none
Report Server WMI Provider error: Initialization Failure

Question

• I am opening the Report server Configuration Manager. The initial window that opens asks for the Server Name and the Report Server instance.

The Server Name correctly shows the Name of the Server.  ("CPVFSSQL200364")  However the Report Server Instance is blank, and grayed out and disable.   when I click the find button beside the Server Name, I get a message box with the error, "Report Server WMI Provider error: Initialization Failure".

I tried bouncing the Reporting Services Service, but that did not help.

I looked up the error message in Bing but got no hits.  When I reduced the search to just "Report Server WMI Provider error" I got about 6 or 7 hits but none of them referenced my issue.

I am on a Windows Server 2003 machine with a SQL Server 2008 R2 install.

Any Ideas?

******New information:  The SQL Server Configuration manager also will not open.  It delivers an error "Cannot connect to WMI provider"  Seems like it must be related.

*******More New information.  Ran below to parse MOF file.

mofcomp.exe "C:\Program Files <86>\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

This failed with this error:

An error occurred while opening the namespace for object 1 defined on lines 4 - 7:

Error Number 0x80041014, Facility: WMI

Description: Initialization failure  Compiler returned error 0x80041014

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA

• Edited by joeller Thursday, December 31, 2015 6:05 PM More info
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hi joeller,

According to your description, when you access the Report Server Configuration Manager, the error “Report Server WMI Provider error: Initialization Failure” throws, right?

In your scenario, please check if there is any error in the SQL Server installation error message. By default, we can get the installation logs for C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\ Summary.txt.

Besides, please check if the Reporting Services WMI provider is installed correctly refer to this article: Troubleshooting WMI Provider Errors.

Regarding the 0x80041014 error when you access SQL Server Configuration Manager and parse MOF file, the issue can be caused by that the WMI files are corrupt. Please run the following script to repair WMI:

net stop winmgmt
    c: 
    cd %systemroot%\system32\wbem 
    rd /S /Q repository 
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\system32\scecli.dll 
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\system32\userenv.dll 
    mofcomp cimwin32.mof 
    mofcomp cimwin32.mfl 
    mofcomp rsop.mof 
    mofcomp rsop.mfl 
    for /f %%s in ('dir /b /s *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %%s 
    for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %%s 
    for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.mfl') do mofcomp %%s 
    echo DONE - you must reboot 
    pause        

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 1, 2016 4:03 AM
  • Hi joeller,

According to your description, it seems that the "Report Server WMI Provider error: Initialization Failure” has been solved. Currently, you are not able to access the report manager, right?

In SSRS, users who are members of the local Administrators group have permissions to report server content and operations. see: Grant User Access to a Report Server (Report Manager).

So please access the report manager using the account which is a member of the local Administrator group.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Monday, January 18, 2016 11:22 AM

All replies

• the error, "Report Server WMI Provider error: Initialization Failure".

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms157133.aspx

Error Number 0x80041014, Facility: WMI Refer 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff406382.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

• Edited by Av111 Friday, January 1, 2016 1:24 AM
    Friday, January 1, 2016 1:17 AM
  • Hi joeller,

According to your description, when you access the Report Server Configuration Manager, the error “Report Server WMI Provider error: Initialization Failure” throws, right?

In your scenario, please check if there is any error in the SQL Server installation error message. By default, we can get the installation logs for C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\ Summary.txt.

Besides, please check if the Reporting Services WMI provider is installed correctly refer to this article: Troubleshooting WMI Provider Errors.

Regarding the 0x80041014 error when you access SQL Server Configuration Manager and parse MOF file, the issue can be caused by that the WMI files are corrupt. Please run the following script to repair WMI:

net stop winmgmt
    c: 
    cd %systemroot%\system32\wbem 
    rd /S /Q repository 
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\system32\scecli.dll 
    regsvr32 /s %systemroot%\system32\userenv.dll 
    mofcomp cimwin32.mof 
    mofcomp cimwin32.mfl 
    mofcomp rsop.mof 
    mofcomp rsop.mfl 
    for /f %%s in ('dir /b /s *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %%s 
    for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %%s 
    for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.mfl') do mofcomp %%s 
    echo DONE - you must reboot 
    pause        

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Friday, January 1, 2016 4:03 AM
  • Qiuyun Yu gave me the answer here http://www.networksteve.com/forum/topic.php/Report_Server_WMI_Provider_error:_Initialization_Failure/?TopicId=99353&Posts=2 Which I used to then backup my encryption in RSCM. But I was not able to mark it as the answer in that blog. Now I can do so here and give my effusive thanks to him which resolved an issue that was preventing me from getting anywhere. Before I mark his reply as the answer and thereby close this thread and chase anyone away from reading it, can you him me with the problem that arose after fixing this issue. I was not able to open reports manager because of an initialization error because I needed the encryption keys from the old server which I couldn't get to because of the wmi initialization error. Now that this is fixed, because of Qiuyun YU, I find that I still cannot open Report Manager because the logged-in user designated by my smart card, did not exist on the old server, and so has no report manager rights, and RM is not looking at my alternative smart card which user has developer rights on the new machine but is blocked from accessing any browser so I can't log in as that user to add rights. Anyon know how can I give my user content manager rights in Report manager without opening report manager? If I don't hear anything back by Monday I will close this there giving all points to Qiuyun Yu.

BTW I am no longer receiving my email notifications from this forum.  Until I can get this fixed I will have to check this page periodically.

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA

• Edited by joeller Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:04 PM add BTW
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:03 PM
  • Hi joeller,

According to your description, it seems that the "Report Server WMI Provider error: Initialization Failure” has been solved. Currently, you are not able to access the report manager, right?

In SSRS, users who are members of the local Administrators group have permissions to report server content and operations. see: Grant User Access to a Report Server (Report Manager).

So please access the report manager using the account which is a member of the local Administrator group.

Best regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Monday, January 18, 2016 11:22 AM