Management tools release date? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody know when the "SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools" link will be available/released?

It has been "(coming soon)" for a while now!

Thanks,
    Jonny.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 5:31 PM

Answers

• My mistake - yes, for the normal database engine, those features do exist. When I downloaded SS2008 the first database I created was a Compact database - I've never worked with Compact before and used the new install as a first opportunity. There appears to be no diagram support for Compact at all, and as that was the only database I was connecting to, that was the only featureset I saw. I don't know if SSMS05 has this support or not (doubtful, in hindsight).

In any case, sorry for the confusion, and thanks for pointing it out.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 12:24 PM

All replies

• hi Jonny,

it's NOW

regards

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:51 PM
  • I just downloaded SQL 2008 Express with Tools (SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe) and upgraded an existing 2008 Express.

What the intallation shows is the server with advanced services and no SSMS.

Walter

• Proposed as answer by GushaX Tuesday, January 6, 2009 11:02 AM
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:10 AM
  • You need to select the option to install SSMS, it's not selected by default. If you didn't install SSMS you can run the installation again and choose the opption to add features to an existing installation and you can then choose SSMS to add.

Regards,

Mike

• Proposed as answer by GushaX Tuesday, January 6, 2009 11:02 AM
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 6:32 AM
  • Excellent, worked like a charm... thanks.

Walter

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:51 AM
  • I can't see an option to install SSMS.

From the Installation Center I select "New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation", it runs some checks, I select my existing install to add features too (version 10.0.1600.22 Express), and when I get the screen to select features to install I don't see an option for the Management Studio.  The only options available are Database Engine Services, SQL Server Replication and SQL Client Connectivity SDK.

I checked the other options from the Installation Center with no luck.

Am I just blind?  What am I missing?

Chris
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:17 AM
  • Hello,

The Sql Server Management Studio Express Edition (SSMSEE) 2008 is released but  thru the Sql Server 2008 Express Edition with advanced services

See the link :

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2008/08/22/the-sql-express-2008-family-is-getting-bigger.aspx

and the posts of the beginning of August

You have to download

SQLEXPRADV_x86_ENU.exe  if you want to have the english version

For versions not in english ( spanish or french and so on ) : it depends of the local Microsoft Offices ( if they have enough time to localize the english version ). It may take some days to translate from english to local language.

Have a nice day

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:05 AM
  • Hello,

Here is the link for Sql Server Express 2008 with advanced services

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5d1b8c3-fda5-4508-b0d0-1311d670e336&DisplayLang=en

Be careful with the pre-requisites

During the setup, check only Sql Server Management Studio Express Edition

Some languages are available : chinese,french, and so on

Have a nice day

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:27 AM
  • First off, SSMS is available in both Express with Tools and Express with Advanced Services.

The issue being seen here is the result of changing from one edition to another, which now requires an extra step. (Sorry, I didn't vote for this feature.) This is described in the BOL here, but I'll layout the short versons.

Basically, you have to perform two steps when moving between editions:

1. Edition (or SKU) upgrade. There is actually a separate link for this, I believe it's on the Maintenance page.
    2. Feature Add.

I don't know all the technical details about why this is, but the up shot is that the first step tells the installed instance that it is now the new edition. Once the installed instance "knows" its a different edition, choosing the option to install new features will show the correct feature tree with the new options.

There is one place where the above is not true, and that is when moving from Express with Tools to Express with Advanced Services; these two editions do not required an edition upgrade. If you've installed Express with Tools and you'd like to add, say Full Text Search, just run the Express with Advanced Services installer and select the option to Add Features, you'll be presented with the full Express Advanced feature tree.

I know this is a bit of a hassle; lukily edition upgrade is not a very common occurance once you have things installed.

Regards,

Mike

Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:23 PM
  • Hello Mike,

As always, not only your posts are clear but they are always helpful, and i don't know what we could do if you don't answer to this kind of post.

I approve you when you said that there is a new step during the upgrade. The result is that it's more complicated and unusefully.

Could you permit a question ?

I've 2 instances of Sql Server Express 2005 : one with reporting services and the other is a "basic" and i've SSMSEE 2005.

I would want to install a new instance Sql Server Express 2008 (basic). What can i do ?

Uninstall SSMSEE 2005 ( as SSMSEE 2008 is working versus Sql Server 2005 and 2008 ) and install SSMSEE 2008 ?

Upgrade SSMSEE 2005 towards SSMSEE 2008 ( after the install of my new instance Sql Server Express 2008 basic ) ?

Thanks beforehand ( if you accept to help me )

Have a nice day 

Sunday, August 24, 2008 7:06 PM
  • hi Papy,

I'm "working" on a SQLExpress 2005 WAS to SQLExpresse 2008 WAS in this moment.... will post my "experience" ..

regard

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:11 PM
  • Hey Papy,

I'm not sure if you're asking about installing SQL Express itself, or management studio, so I'll answer both.

1. You can install multiple copies of SQL Express (the database engine) and we support side by side installation across editions and versions. This means that if you happen to have SQL Express 2005 and SQL Express 2005 Advanced installed and you wanted to install a third instance, only this time make it SQL Express 2008, you can do that with no problems. You could also upgrade the existing SQL Express 2005.
    2. Management Studio 2005 Express is a different matter; SSMSE2005 is a bit of a hybrid in the way we built it and as a result it does not support being installed side by side with any other editions of management studio. When you're ready to add Management Studio 2008 Basic to you machine, I recomend that you first uninstall SSMSE 2005.

To be very exact in naming, there is no such product as SSMSEE 2008. As I said, SSMSEE 2005 was a special product we created for 2005 that is a bit of a hybrid. It was necesary given the timing when we built it to do this, but it has some concequences related to side by side support and ablity to upgrade, i.e. there is no support for either. In 2008 we did the right thing and produced a set of management tools scaled down to Express that are truely a subset of the full version of managment tools so that we do support upgrade. As a result, we renamed it to Management Studio 2008 Basic and it is litterally just a sub-component of the full management tools. For example, if you install SQL Enterprise you would find that you still have the ability to install only Management Studio 2008 Basic if that is all you need. SSMS Basic is the same product in all editions of SQL Server 2008, which is as it should be for consistency.

Regards,

Mike

Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Hello Mike,

That's always a pleasure to read a post from you

The install of my Sql Server Express 2008 is planned for the next week-end and following your advice, i will uninstall

SSMSEE before the new install

My question was only an aparté to the main question of this thread. Anyway, thank you very much for your very,very quick answer

Have a nice day

Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:51 PM
  • hi,

Andrea Montanari wrote:

I'm "working" on a SQLExpress 2005 WAS to SQLExpresse 2008 WAS in this moment.... will post my "experience" ..

FWIW, my very first upgrade experience of SQLExpress WAS 2005 to SQLExpress WAS 2008 can be found here 

[modified path to the correct address]

regards

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:44 PM
  • Thank you Mike.

Just to clarify for others who came across this thread, I wanted to install SSMS having installed the basic Express version that was released last week. If you download
    Server Express with Tools (SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe for me) and select the option to add new features to an existing install you dont get an optin for SSMS. You have to first go to Maintenance, Edition Upgrade and run that.  I found the Upgrade option previously but since it didnt say it adds SSMS I didnt actually complete the wizard. If you complete the upgrade process however, then go back through the add new features wizard an option for "Management Tools - Basic" appears, which is SSMS.

Slightly non-intuitive I guess.  I thought the only difference between the Server and Server With Tools packages was SSMS, but its a two step process to actually get it installed.

Chris.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 12:14 AM
  • Hi Chris,

You are correct that the only difference between Express and Express with Tools is SSMS Basic, but they are different editions, so you have to go through the Edition Upgrade before you have access to the additional features. This is a new behavior for all SQL Server 2008 editions; I've posted more details about this to the blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress for those who are interested.

Glad you got things working.

Regards,

Mike

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:05 PM
  • I'm finding SSMS Basic to be a bit of a downgrade, in that I've lost the ability to create relationships on a design surface. I'm no SQL guru, so creating and managing those relationships in the Basic edition's interface is quite confusing to me.

Are there plans to put this functionality into the Basic edition at a later date, or is will I now have to buy SSMS to get it?

Friday, September 5, 2008 10:43 PM
  • hi,

why do you say that?

I've just checked for that feature, and it's still there as supposed.. access the database's diagram node, eventually enable it if required, create a new database.. select the tables you are supposed to work with.. grab the referencing colum of the referencing table and drop it on the referenced table.. a dialog where you can better define and fine tune the relationship will appear.. saving it, the "traditional modelling link" between the tables will appear..

the very same relationship dialog will appear if you want to manage relationships accessing the feature from the "design table" dialog or via the "new key" or "modify" context menu from the referencing table key's node..

where is the feature you are missing?

regards

Friday, September 5, 2008 11:16 PM
  • My mistake - yes, for the normal database engine, those features do exist. When I downloaded SS2008 the first database I created was a Compact database - I've never worked with Compact before and used the new install as a first opportunity. There appears to be no diagram support for Compact at all, and as that was the only database I was connecting to, that was the only featureset I saw. I don't know if SSMS05 has this support or not (doubtful, in hindsight).

In any case, sorry for the confusion, and thanks for pointing it out.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 12:24 PM