none
Error on Upgrade Advisor

Question

• Hi there,

I tried to run Upgrade Advisor on two SQL 2000 servers, but the wizard keeps failing when it reaches 22% while analyzing the Database Engine.

I downloaded the latest version, but still receive the same error...

Error: "SQL BPA command line has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Both servers are Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 with SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition SP4.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do to fix this problem.

Thanks!!

Thursday, June 8, 2006 8:43 AM

Answers

• I found it. The error occurs because of a problem with BPACMD.EXE attempting to load BPAClient.dll.  If you create a subdirectory off of the BPA directory called BPAClient and copy BPAClient.dll (from the sibling bin directory) into this directory, then the upgrade advisor works.

I also had to do the same thing for the SQL Server 2005 installation (once the SQL Support Files had been installed) in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA directory.

Don't know exactly why this is required.

-Dave

Sunday, October 5, 2008 12:28 AM
  • I made the previous suggestion work during and upgrade install, but I could not make it work running the upgrade advisor by itself. What I did is exactly what was mentioned during the installation process I created a new directory called BPAClient 
    at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\ then copied the BPAClient.dll form the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\Bin directory into the new directory at  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\BPAClient then I continued with the install and it worked.

Thank you to DFBaskin for the previous post regarding these steps. 

-Adam
    Friday, November 14, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Ravendra said:

Dear All

I am still getting the same error while i migrating from sql server 2000 to 2005 :

my BPAClient directory is also available there ..

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\BPAClient\BPAClient.dll  this file is already present there.

Could you please help me why this error is come?

thanks in advance

india

Hi ,

Copy everything from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\bin .
    Now paste it at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\
    Prashant [MSFT] -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:31 AM
  •  

You need to GAC the BPAClient.dll. then it works.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:30 PM

All replies

• I'm getting the exact same error for the same configuration.  I get the same error whether I am running Upgrade Advisor or attempting to install SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition (since it also runs upgrade advisor).

Anybody have any clue what the problem is?

Thanks,

-Dave Baskin

Saturday, October 4, 2008 11:10 PM
  • I found it. The error occurs because of a problem with BPACMD.EXE attempting to load BPAClient.dll.  If you create a subdirectory off of the BPA directory called BPAClient and copy BPAClient.dll (from the sibling bin directory) into this directory, then the upgrade advisor works.

I also had to do the same thing for the SQL Server 2005 installation (once the SQL Support Files had been installed) in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA directory.

Don't know exactly why this is required.

-Dave

Sunday, October 5, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Dave,

Thanks for the answer, that worked perfectly...

Bill
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:19 PM
  • I made the previous suggestion work during and upgrade install, but I could not make it work running the upgrade advisor by itself. What I did is exactly what was mentioned during the installation process I created a new directory called BPAClient 
    at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\ then copied the BPAClient.dll form the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\Bin directory into the new directory at  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\BPAClient then I continued with the install and it worked.

Thank you to DFBaskin for the previous post regarding these steps. 

-Adam
    Friday, November 14, 2008 12:45 AM
  •  

You need to GAC the BPAClient.dll. then it works.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Thanks so much!  I've already spent a number of days on it.  It's a problem when trying to install SQL 2005 SP3 after DotNet 3.5 SP1.

Stephen
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Dear All

I am still getting the same error while i migrating from sql server 2000 to 2005 :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\BPAClient\BPAClient.dll  this file is already present there.

thanks in advance

india
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:31 AM
  • Ravendra said:

Dear All

thanks in advance

india

Hi ,

Copy everything from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\bin .
    Now paste it at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\
    Prashant [MSFT] -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Thanks Dave - this worked great
    • Proposed as answer by MSSQL DBA Monday, April 20, 2009 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:43 AM
  • Thanks a lot also from me: I had a similar problem when trying to upgrade Reporting 2005 from workgroup edition to standard (al other parts, db and other features were successfully already upgraded).
    By copying everithing fron .....\bpa\bin to \bpa solved the problem.
    gab
    gab
    Friday, March 13, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Great, thanks for sharing the solution Dave !
    Friday, April 3, 2009 6:35 AM
  • Hi,
    create a directory
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor\BPA\BPAclient

copy BPAclient.dll
    from
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor\BPA\bin
    to

• Proposed as answer by MSSQL DBA Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:27 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Prashant - This worked for me thanks. SQL 2005 was installed as part of TMG Beta 2 and this update just would not install until I found this article.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Dave! many thanks!!
    upgraging SQL Express adv. 2005 to SP3, I met the trouble in these days. And it now completely has been resolved in one click! :-P
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Thanks for the work around. 
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Thanks Narayan. It was help full to me.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Hi DFBAskin,
    You saved my days... This really helped me to get this resolved.
    Thank you.

-Biz
    • Proposed as answer by Code_Meister Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:07 AM
  • I had problems until I registered the BPAClient.dll into the GAC.  I was using the gacutil.exe from .net framework 1.1 and that didn't work (I was getting a failed to add msg).  I used the gacutil from .net framework 3.5 and it worked!

Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Grazie avevo lo steso problema e funziona perfettamente.

thanks i was thesame problem, and now it's work perfectly

fede
    Friday, September 18, 2009 3:16 PM
  • I had problems until I registered the BPAClient.dll into the GAC.  I was using the gacutil.exe from .net framework 1.1 and that didn't work (I was getting a failed to add msg).  I used the gacutil from .net framework 3.5 and it worked!

Or you can simply drag and drop a dll to c:\windows\assembly.

Anyways, GACing BPAClient.dll worked for me too :)

cheers,
    TS.
    • Proposed as answer by Shadowfoxish Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:24 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:46 PM
  • This did the trick for me.  Thanks!  Interesting this hasn't been resolved in the latest SQL 2005 Upgrade Advisor service pack, which I just downloaded this morning.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Awesome!  Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:51 AM
  • Hi,
    create a directory

copy BPAclient.dll
    from
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Upgrade Advisor\BPA\bin
    to

This worked perfectly! How MS can miss this is beyond me.
    ~ syi916 ~
    Monday, November 23, 2009 10:36 PM
  • It works for me too . TY
    Ivan V
    Friday, April 2, 2010 8:48 PM

cheers,
    TS.

Dragging and dropping worked for me..   Thankyou :)

Friday, April 9, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Good job !
    Friday, April 30, 2010 8:03 AM
  • Thanks Dave!  Worked like a charm.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for the information, i followed the below steps and the SQL 2005 Upgrade Advisor worked fine.

1) Copy BPAClient.ll from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\Bin".

2) Create folder BPAClient under the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\"

3) Paste BPAClient.dll in the newly created folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA\BPAClient".

4) Also Drag and Drop the dll to C:\Windows\assembly folder.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Jay

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:56 AM
  • This worked for me too. Our server only had .Net v1, so I installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and installed the Upgrade Advisor. After copying the BPAClient.dll to the new folder it ran successfully.

Thanks,

Chris

Monday, February 21, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Thank you very much for this. It help me out massively!!!
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Excellent fix!

Friday, April 1, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Hi Gents, I tried to upgrade SQL 2005 Exp Adv to SP 4 and was getting the same error. I tried all the options above but nothing was working. I am reainistalling the SQL.

Thomas

Friday, June 3, 2011 8:30 AM

cheers,
    TS.
    Dragging a copy to c:\winnt\assembly worked. 
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:59 PM
  •        new bible 2-nd edition use NEW dievice method....

bible3 use same methods   ,but in revoliution front line  end....All in 2000 was revoliuntary ...

now I have DELL p3 Intel processor sys....    hwo make trillions $  in touch screen only now can buy Pentium4 for 10$  for me  ... STUPID yes      ......    But think : try Vista  ($small$)     ......

but look how fast trillions return in Microsoft base

Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Thank you for taking the time!
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:58 PM