none
Unable to open ssis solution after updating SSDT RRS feed

• Question

• I have vs 2017 enterprise. I have ssdt 15.3 installed previously. Since there are several issues bothering me have been fixed in the latest ssdt 15.5.2, I decided to update.

The process of update is, uninstall the old one from control panel then install the new one. Install succeed, however, I got an error when opening or creating a ssis project, "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Wizard' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

SSAS, SSRS work just perfectly after update.

I have tried both repair and reinstall of ssdt, sql server instance and integration services, no luck.

not sure if this matters, after uninstall ssdt I can still see ssdt in  About microsoft visual studio - installed products.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 4:05 AM

All replies

• I have a very similar problem.  After installing VS 2017 SSDT I couldn't upgrade an SSIS package created previously on a SQL 2012 machine.  Decided to try creating a new SSIS package as a test, and getting the error:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Wizards' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Not finding any real solutions... ??? Can anyone help with this?

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 4:44 PM
  • I have the same, but arrived at in a different way!

Have VS2017 Enterprise, used the wizard to download an ssis solution written using 2015 I believe) from SQL2016 instance.

When I made a change to a script component and deployed, the SQL version shows 2017, it deploys fine, but the script component breaks on execution.

Redeployed again but this time changing the SQL Version to 2016, now the package runs fine but I cannot reload or create ANY ssis packages from my machine, cannot create new from scratch or via a wizard. My client is getting put off with these shenanigans from Microsoft as I now have to repair/reload VS (again).

Thursday, July 5, 2018 6:29 PM
  • Some how the Integration Services is disabled. Re-enable it. Open your Visual Studio SSDT, go to Tools >> Extension and Update and Enable the "Microsoft Integration Services Projects".
    • Proposed as answer by CMR99 Tuesday, August 20, 2019 12:45 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2018 6:42 PM
  • I ended up installing the ssdt as a seperate instance. I don't want to reinstall the system as I cannot risk lose any data though it would help me getting rid of all annoying weird problems. And for people who still on vs2015, don't upgrade, vs2017 sucks!
    Wednesday, September 5, 2018 10:28 PM
  • Thank YOU!!! finally someone who knows what they are doing - I have been having this problem for some time and gone down a number of dead ends.... this fixed the problem
    Saturday, November 3, 2018 11:42 PM
  • It Works :-) Tks
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 5:55 PM