"product level is insufficient" message during flat file import

Question

• I'm using the import wizard to create a new table from a flat file source.  The table gets created but no data gets copied.  What's wrong?  Here's the report:

Operation stopped...

- Initializing Data Flow Task (Success)

- Initializing Connections (Success)

- Setting SQL Command (Success)

- Setting Source Connection (Success)

- Setting Destination Connection (Success)

- Validating (Error)
            * Error 0xc00470fe: Data Flow Task: The product level is insufficient for component "Source - inSsrc_txt" (1).
             (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

* Error 0xc00470fe: Data Flow Task: The product level is insufficient for component "Data Conversion 1" (43).

- Prepare for Execute (Stopped)

- Pre-execute (Stopped)

- Executing (Success)

- Copying to [BayadaPortal].[dbo].[inSsrc] (Stopped)

- Post-execute (Stopped)

- Cleanup (Stopped)

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:34 PM

Answers

• Thanks for reporting this problem, it seems like we have a bug here.

Some components of SSIS (e.g. designer) are installed and work with 'Workstation Components' install. Other components of SSIS (e.g. service, dtexec, and dtexecui) require installation of 'Integration Services'.

In current build the wizard can't execute the package it created without 'Integration Services' installation, which for Enterprise Edition means you need Server OS. You can still save the package and run or schedule it on machine with SSIS installed.

We will fix this problem for SP1 release, the wizard should be able to run the package with just 'Workstation Components' install. Unfortunately, we missed this problem.

Thanks,
    Michael.

Friday, October 21, 2005 1:29 AM
  • I've noted above that the only change in SP1 is fix to allow Import/Export wizard to run the packages it generates, without requirement to install full SSIS.

For any other usages, you still need to install full SSIS (separate check box in SQL install) to run the packages standalone (outside of the designer) - this is also mentioned several times in this thread:

the error means that SSIS is not installed (only Tools are installed - it installs a limited version of SSIS runtime), or that component requires Enterprise Edition of SQL Server, while Standard Edition is installed. The components in last category are "advanced" components like Fuzzy Grouping/Lookup, Term Extraction/Lookup and Data Mining - there is a full list somewhere on microsoft.com/sql.

Friday, September 29, 2006 2:07 AM

All replies

• Please see this thread:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=110020

SSIS ships as part of SQL 2005, but the setup give you a choice of whether to install it or not.

Please rerun the setup. In one of the first screens the setup program asks which components to installs, there are 5 checkboxes total: SQL/SSAS/SSRS/SSIS and Workstation components. Please make sure the SSIS check box is checked.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 12:12 AM
  • "Integration Services" is greyed-out as an installation option, I'm guessing, because I'm running XP.  It seems odd that I can install Management Studio but cannot use the import-export wizard.  Is this right?  IS is not considered to be a "client tool" which the documentation says can be installed on XP?
    Thursday, October 20, 2005 7:16 PM
  • Thanks for reporting this problem, it seems like we have a bug here.

Some components of SSIS (e.g. designer) are installed and work with 'Workstation Components' install. Other components of SSIS (e.g. service, dtexec, and dtexecui) require installation of 'Integration Services'.

In current build the wizard can't execute the package it created without 'Integration Services' installation, which for Enterprise Edition means you need Server OS. You can still save the package and run or schedule it on machine with SSIS installed.

We will fix this problem for SP1 release, the wizard should be able to run the package with just 'Workstation Components' install. Unfortunately, we missed this problem.

Thanks,
    Michael.

Friday, October 21, 2005 1:29 AM
  • I got around the problem (hope I haven't created any others) by uninstalling Enterprise Edition and installing Developer Edition which allows all installation options.  I added IS to the install and then successfully ran the import/export wizard.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2005 7:24 PM
  • I ran into the same thing in September CTP with an attempted import of an Excel 2003 spreadsheet.  I had installed SSIS and was consistently running numerous fairly sophisticated ETL packages between MSSQL Server 2005, MSSQL Server 2000, Oracle and other sources.  It does not appear that the error is related to SSIS not being installed.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 1:54 PM
  • And BTW - I immediately got it to work after importing the sheet into MS Access, and then using MS Access as the import source for MSSQL Server 2005 ...

Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 08, 2005 2:06 PM
  • I'm getting this same error when using the RTM release of the SQL Management Studio Import wizard to import data from Excel into SQL 2000. Does anyone know how to fix this?

TITLE: SQL Server Import and Export Wizard
    ------------------------------
    Error 0xc00470fe: Data Flow Task: The product level is insufficient for component "Source - AgentDirectoryDownload$" (1).

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 9:24 PM
  • I also get this error with the RTM release of Management Studio.  It seems ridiculous that the Import/Export wizard can't be run on a machine with just the workstation tools installed.  I really don't want to install Developer Edition on all of the machines here.  Is there no other workaround?  Import/Export seems to be a natural function of a client-only installation.

Sean Carpenter
    Monday, November 21, 2005 2:21 PM
  • We've reconsidered this issue, and will be providing a fix for SP1 release.

For now, you need to install SSIS to run the package in the wizard.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 12:28 AM
  • I would really like to see this available as a hotfix before a service pack.  Our company does a lot of data loading utilizing the Import/Export wizard and this issue will prevent us from upgrading to SQL Server 2005.

Sean Carpenter
    Tuesday, November 22, 2005 1:47 PM
  • If this is blocking your move to 2005, you should consider opening a case with customer support, reviewing with them the content of this thread, and pressing for the hotfix.

With few exceptions, hotfixes are issued in response to escalated customer support calls.

jkh

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:59 PM
  • I too am experiencing this same problem.  I am using the standard version of SQL Server Management Studio that I obtained for free at the SQL Server 2005 launch party in San Francisco.  I am running Windows XP.  I have tried to migrate tables from  my remote SQL Server 2000 DB without success.  Exporting to Access was successful, but when I import to the new DB I get the following errors:

- Pre-execute (Error)
    Error 0xc0202009: Data Flow Task: An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80040E21.
    An OLE DB record is available.  Source: "Microsoft SQL Native Client"  Hresult: 0x80040E21  Description: "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.".

Error 0xc0202025: Data Flow Task: Cannot create an OLE DB accessor. Verify that the column metadata is valid.

Error 0xc004701a: Data Flow Task: component "Destination - flo_layouts" (46) failed the pre-execute phase and returned error code 0xC0202025.

I just wanted to weigh in and say that it would seem like this would be important enough for a quick 'hotfix'.  Ease of migration using these tools is by far the most important reason I switched from MySQL to SQL Server and with these functions not working it is a real bummer.

Can anyone suggest a temporary work-aruond?

-Damien

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 12:46 AM
  • Damien, your problem is completely unrelated to "product level" issue. I would suggest starting another thread specific to your issue, so that someone who knows this area might notice and help.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:41 AM
  • We are having the same problem, only we get it on the server that SQL is installed on.  We are running the 64bit RTM version downloaded from MSDN, with all options installed.  I get the same errors, if I try to import from Excel, csv and sometimes from other tables on the same 2005 database.  This last one is only sometimes.

CJ
    Wednesday, December 07, 2005 10:48 PM
  • When can we expect a fix for this? We recently purchased the workgroup edition and cannot use because we cannot import or export data. We keep getting this error and other.

Thanks,

Cary

Monday, December 19, 2005 8:21 PM
  • I should also point out that, when you get the "product level is insufficient" message, you can still use the wizard to create the package, but don't run it. Instead, save the package, then load and run it in the designer.
    Monday, December 19, 2005 8:30 PM
  • Had the same problem using excel as a data source.

Possible Workaround:

Use Business Intelligence Development Studio and Create a new IS project.
    Then, from there use the Import/Export Wizard. It creates the package for you. After that, execute that package! The error does not appear anymore, the data is imported correctly. :-) 

Thursday, December 22, 2005 1:22 PM
  • Hello,

I have this problem for all my package.

My packages develloping on my machine works well.

I have a 2003 server with SQLServer 2005 and all the component (SSIS,SSRS...) but not VS 2005 (SQLServer BI isn't installed)

When i run my package stored on the MSDB i have this message for the composent Derved column...

Any ideas ?

Friday, January 13, 2006 4:57 PM
  • Why must we as loyal MS users have to constantly battle these issues that blindside us at every turn?  Why not take a list of tasks that are executed normally on a previous version of the product, and then when developing a new product, ensure that this same list is backward compatible.   This product "feature" has cost me two hours of productivity today.  Way to go.
    Monday, January 23, 2006 10:26 PM
  • Moving the data into Access solved the problem with importing data from Excel also.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2006 12:01 AM
  • Hi, you can be sure we do test the product a lot :)

As described in this thread, the problem only occurs if you installed just SQL Workstation Components, but did not install SSIS. It does not occur if SSIS is installed during SQL Setup.

The obvious workaround is to install SSIS. The only case when this can't be done is when installing SQL Enterprise Edition on workstation-level OS, e.g. Windows XP.

Of course, we are fixing this problem for SP1 for all editions.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 1:00 AM
  • I'm sure you test the prodct alot, but it seems here you missed a HUGE hole.

I'm not sure what version you are running, but I have SSIS installed and still can't run an import package!   The ONLY place I can do it is on the database server machine.  I can't do imports from any type of data source from my client machine.  If that's not a flaw then I don't know what one is.

And since you brought SP1 up...when is it going to be shippped?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:06 PM
  • What is the expected release date for SP1?
    Monday, February 13, 2006 3:53 PM
  • Yeah.  When?
    Thursday, February 16, 2006 5:09 PM
  • I am also very eager to know the date for the SP1.

Even a tentative will do..

Monday, February 20, 2006 9:44 PM
  • I'm also very eager to get a release date on SP1.

We had hope on migrating to 2005, but it is impossible due to a couple of problems:

1. Problem to import data from Excel
    2. Not able to edit table valued funktions on a SQL Server 2000

Fixes for this has been promised in SP1, but I haven't heard any date on Sp1.

Yeah.. (1) has a workaround as stated in this thread, but it is VERY anoying and our trust in Management Studio degrades every day (it's also much slower than good old Query Analyzer).

/Michael

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:44 AM
  • I have this problem as well with a derived column component. The package is running on a server with SSIS installed. When I run it I get "The product level is insufficient for component 'Fix Dates'".

When can we expect SP1 or at least a hotfix?

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:24 PM
  • Could you elaborate some more how you get an import/Export Wizard out of a project?

I only see 3 project types none refers to IS

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 3:06 PM
  • Let me clarify: the only thing that is changed by SP1 is that the package generated by Import/Export Wizard can be run inside this wizard even if you only installed Tools, but have not installed SSIS.

For other cases the error means that SSIS is not installed (only Tools are installed - they install a limited version of SSIS runtime), or that component requires Enterprise Edition of SQL Server, while Standard Edition is installed. The components in last category are "advanced" components like Fuzzy Grouping/Lookup, Term Extraction/Lookup and Data Mining - there is a full list somewhere on microsoft.com/sql.

Derived Column component is not an "advanced" component and will run successfully if any edition of SSIS is installed (but will not run if Tools only are installed). So I would check first again if SSIS is really installed.
    Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:55 PM
  • Why is it so hard to give us a date for SP1.

I have to switch to query analyzer when I want to edit table valued functions. This bug is said to be fixed in SP1, but no one can give me a date on SP1.

/Michael

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 9:38 AM
  • hi,

i am also facing same problem when runs SSIS package using sqlserver business intelligence development studio then it is executing properly.

Actually i created a pckage in studion to import data from flat file in to sql table.......then data loads successfully in to the table but when i tries to save the package using "save copy package.dtsx as" in sql it is not dislaying in the object explorer........so i tried to execute using dtexec command prompt utility to check whether it saved in the sql or not then it is running but it is showing following error msgs..........

Started:  2:10:29 PM
    Progress: 2006-03-09 14:10:32.61
       Source: Data Flow Task
       Validating: 0% complete
    End Progress
    Progress: 2006-03-09 14:10:32.63
       Validating: 50% complete
    End Progress
    Progress: 2006-03-09 14:10:32.75
       Validating: 100% complete
    End Progress
    Progress: 2006-03-09 14:10:33.38
       Source: Execute SQL Task
       Executing query "delete from sac".: 100% complete
    End Progress
    End Progress
    End Progress
    Progress: 2006-03-09 14:10:33.39
    End Progress
    Error: 2006-03-09 14:10:33.39
       Code: 0xC00470FE Source: Data Flow Task DTS.Pipeline Description: The product level is insufficient for component "Flat File Sourc
    e" (41).
    End Error
    Warning: 2006-03-09 14:10:33.39
       Code: 0x80019002
       Source: Package
       Description: The Execution method succeeded, but the number of errors raised
    (1) reached the maximum allowed (1); resulting in failure. This occurs when the
    number of errors reaches the number specified in MaximumErrorCount. Change the M
    aximumErrorCount or fix the errors.
    End Warning
    DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1).
    Finished: 2:10:33 PM
    Elapsed:  3.797 seconds

so whats the solution for this........and where saved pckaged will display in object explorer...................

thanks in advance.......

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:24 PM
  •  

hi,

I created a pckage in studio to import data from flat file in to sql table.......then data loads successfully in to the table but when i tries to save the package using "save copy package.dtsx as" in sql it is not dislaying in the object explorer........so i tried to execute using dtexec command prompt utility to check whether it saved in the sql or not then it is running but it is showing following error msgs..........

Progress: 2006-03-09 14:10:32.61
    End Progress
    Progress: 2006-03-09 14:10:32.63
    End Progress
    Progress: 2006-03-09 14:10:32.75
    End Progress
       Source: Execute SQL Task
       Executing query "delete from sac".: 100% complete
    End Progress
    End Progress
    End Progress
    Progress: 2006-03-09 14:10:33.39
    End Progress
    Error: 2006-03-09 14:10:33.39
       Code: 0xC00470FE Source: Data Flow Task DTS.Pipeline Description: The product level is insufficient for component "Flat File Sourc
    e" (41).
    End Error
    Warning: 2006-03-09 14:10:33.39
       Code: 0x80019002
       Source: Package
       Description: The Execution method succeeded, but the number of errors raised
    (1) reached the maximum allowed (1); resulting in failure. This occurs when the
    number of errors reaches the number specified in MaximumErrorCount. Change the M
    aximumErrorCount or fix the errors.
    End Warning
    DTExec: The package execution returned DTSER_FAILURE (1).
    Finished: 2:10:33 PM
    Elapsed:  3.797 seconds

so whats the solution for this........and where saved pckaged will display in object explorer...................

And when runs using dtexecui utility then it is showing package in sql under maintainennce but it is not showing in object explorer and at the same time same error msg as stated above are displaying with this utility also

thanks in advance.......

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:37 PM
  • The CTP release of SQL SP1 is now available:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/ctp_sp1.mspx
    Changes related to this thread: it allows user to run the Wizard-generated package in the Import/Export Wizard on a machine that has only Tools installed (in RTM this generated "product level is insufficient" error and required full SSIS installation).
    Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:29 PM
  • Great to have a CTP to fix the issue in this thread.

I realize that you probably aren't involved in the Management Studio development, but you might have an answer anyway.

Where sould I turn with my frustration? Who will answer for the showstopper-bug in Management Studio which prohibits me to edit tabled valued functions on SQL Server 2000?

I heard that this should be fixed in SP1, but apparently it isn't fixed in SP1 CTP. This makes me suspicious about the statement that this is fixed.

Sorry for posting in a thread unrelated to my problem, but I havent managed to get any other info about SP1.

/Michael

Friday, March 17, 2006 8:53 AM
  •  sgryd wrote:

Who will answer for the showstopper-bug in Management Studio which prohibits me to edit tabled valued functions on SQL Server 2000?

I would try posting to
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=84&SiteID=1

Friday, March 17, 2006 7:42 PM
  • Dear All,

I have faced this problem and i managed to solve it by installing SSIS component since it is not by default installed.

i guess this is a very serious bug in SQL2005 and i dont know how the QA people of microsoft SQL2005 did not see this problem.

Thanks all for the help

Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:01 AM
  • I have the same problem, but I don't understand why executing the SSIS package from visual studio 2005 it works while from application it doesn't work. Isn't it however executed on my workstation (XP OS, VS 2005, SQL Server Management Studio) ?

Thanks

Friday, April 14, 2006 10:36 AM
  • but I don't understand why executing the SSIS package from visual studio 2005 it works while from application it doesn't work.

This happens if you've installed SQL tools, but have not installed SSIS. Install SSIS option during SQL setup.

This behavior is by design:

1. Not all bits of SSIS are installed with SQL Tools install.
    2. SQL Tools license allows you to debug the packages, and run them in import/export package wizard, but does not allow stand-alone package execution.

Friday, April 14, 2006 4:25 PM
  • I cannot install SSIS service. The Operating System is Windows XP. I have installed the Service Pack 1, but the problem is not resolved.

Thanks.

Friday, April 21, 2006 2:07 PM
  • I just downloaded the SP1 to enable my wizard to execute on a workstation like XP, but I steel get the same problem. Now the question is: was the problem solved as michae says or I'm missing something here??

Thanks in Advance

Friday, April 21, 2006 2:44 PM
  • One possible workaround I have found:

1. Create an Access Database.
    2. Create a linked table to the spreadsheet in question.
    3. Create a query (view) that uses the linked table fields.

Voila.  Using SQL Import/Export Wizard & Access data source, you can see the view in Access, and therefore import from a linked Excel spreadsheet.

...convolution=happiness?

Friday, May 05, 2006 1:30 AM
  • Hi All,

I got this message when trying to import an Access database table into SQL Server 2005.

I resolved it by changing the varchars to nvarchars. the import worked after that.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:38 AM
  • I believe that Michael Entin is incorrect in saying this error is going to be solved solely by installing SSIS on the client.

I say this because I have SSIS installed on my workstation, and have for months.  I have successfully brought data into and out of SQL and Access.  I am getting this error when trying to export to a fixed width flat file.

I got this error for the first time about a week ago, and I got it to work after a reboot.

No luck today. 

I have tried the suggestion from this forum  - to save the package through the import/export wizard tool, and then to run the  package through SSIS.  No luck.  the only difference is that I can see that it fails on the data flow task, after validation completes. 

So, obviously something else is going on. 

I will install SP1, per ME's suggestion.  (Of course, I'm in here on a saturday, and won't be able to get that installed until monday - my productive weekend just got kicked out from under me.) 

But, given that his suggestion is based on the premise of SSIS not being installed, I'm not holding my breath.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 5:44 PM
  •  

Hi,

How to save the SSIS package results to log file using dtexec command............please help regaridng this...........

Thanks in advance,

Monday, June 05, 2006 1:55 PM
  • Thanks for the workaround.

I ran into the same problem but I do have SP1 and SSIS installed.

Since I did not encounter this behaviour while working with the tryout edition it seems that the problem is related to the licening update I did recently (switched form the tryout edidtion to standard edition).

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:26 AM
  • I too am having trouble with importing.  I tried saving the package.  It DOES NOT WORK.  I installed SP1, NO GO. I un-installed sql server, and re-installed Nope... 

Mircosoft - SHAME ON YOU for releasing this product without adequate testing.  I now have a production server that I cannot take off-line, and am forced to wait for you to fix this obvious problem.. I have tried flat files, Access, sql table to sql table, and Foxpro tables.  My only alternative will be to run the data on a 2000 box, and move the mdf manually.  What a crock of....

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:13 AM
  • Hi, Deborah - please start a new thread, describing what you are doing and what results or error messages you get. Generic "IT DOES NOT WORK" is not enough for anyone to be able to help you.
    Wednesday, June 21, 2006 5:18 AM
  • How do i know whether the 'real' SSIS is installed or not? I have designed and debugged SSIS on my pc. Created a deployment package. Ran the same package on my own pc and ran the 'dtsx'. It gives me this error.

From what i've read, i may not have SSIS installed, which is wierd becoz i remember installing all the options when i installed SQL 2005.

Monday, July 03, 2006 8:05 AM
  •  Enzoe wrote:

How do i know whether the 'real' SSIS is installed or not?

Check whether you have SSIS Service installed - its presence is reliable indicator of full SSIS install.

Monday, July 03, 2006 8:12 AM
  • Can i confirm that if i were installing this on a client site. They will need to purchase SQL Server 2005 (any edition) that includes a license for SSIS before the dts package can be run on their server?

Replies by microsoft people much appreciated as i will be informing senior management about this requirement.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 7:40 AM
  • I'm not from Microsoft but...

You need a license for every server that runs any component of SQL Server. Simple as that.

-Jamie

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 7:54 AM
  • The Main problem with SSIS packages in development environment is that you can run package which use only SQL server connection on the box where you have Management Studio installed, but any other type of connection will fail.

To have all possible data sources available in your package you have to have SQL Server 2005 standard and above installed (maybe developer also) or you have to run your package inside Visual Studio SQL server integration service project and it will work fine without any problems (probably it has its own engine installed when you install development tools)

Have a nice play with SSIS packages

Monday, July 24, 2006 4:37 PM
  • I verified that I don't have the full SSIS on my local PC so I understand why it doesn't run from the development environment.  However, from the Management Studio I connected to the Integration Services on the server and uploaded my saved SSIS package to MSDB under Stored Packages.  I ran it from there, which presumably means it is running under the server environment, and it still gives me the same product level is insufficient error.

Shouldn't this work?

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:15 PM
  • I ran it from there, which presumably means it is running under the server environment, and it still gives me the same product level is insufficient error.

If you use the client's Management Studio to run the package, the package is executed on your client, not the server.

If you want to execute it on server, run it from SSMS or DTEXEC/DTEXECUI running on server, or create an Agent Job on server.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 2:33 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification.  I'll give that a shot.
    Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:54 PM
  • I'm up and running now.  I got an important tip from another thread that told me you have to have the SSIS Server component installed on your local PC in order to run Integration Services packages from your machine.  This is a MAJOR hole in the installation process in my opinion.  When you install the Client Tools on a developer PC and you go to the Business Intelligence studio, the fact that you can develop Integration Services packages implies that you should be able to also run them.

In my humble opinion, if you choose to install the development capability for SSIS, the install routine should automatically give you the Server component so you can execute the packages.  Otherwise the dev environment is pretty useless.  At the very least, I think that a message should appear in the Client Tools installation process when you choose SSIS tools that tells you that you will need the server SSIS component.

Just my two cents.  One install message saves all the confusion.

Thursday, August 10, 2006 6:35 PM
  • I had encountered the same error message while importing data from Excel spreadsheet into MS SQL 2005, using the Import and Export Wizard.  My pc is using Windows XP.  I installed the Tools in our server and upgrade it to SP1.  However the problem still persisted.  Am i missing something in here?
    Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:21 AM
  • I have install SP1 but we still encounter the error message.  I was trying to import data from Excel spreadsheet into SQL2005.  We install the Tools in our client that is using Win XP, and I thought this could be solved once SP1 is installed.  Did i miss out anything?
    Friday, September 29, 2006 2:02 AM
  • I've noted above that the only change in SP1 is fix to allow Import/Export wizard to run the packages it generates, without requirement to install full SSIS.

For any other usages, you still need to install full SSIS (separate check box in SQL install) to run the packages standalone (outside of the designer) - this is also mentioned several times in this thread:

the error means that SSIS is not installed (only Tools are installed - it installs a limited version of SSIS runtime), or that component requires Enterprise Edition of SQL Server, while Standard Edition is installed. The components in last category are "advanced" components like Fuzzy Grouping/Lookup, Term Extraction/Lookup and Data Mining - there is a full list somewhere on microsoft.com/sql.

Friday, September 29, 2006 2:07 AM
  • Michael,

Thanks for replying.  I am quite new to SQL 2005.  Can i get an advice from you what I should do next?  Do i need to install the Enterprise Edition?  I don't remember seeing the option to install 'SSIS' during the Tools installation. 

Friday, September 29, 2006 2:24 AM
  • Run Server setup (standard or developer; enterprise would not install on XP).

It will have 5 or 6 checkboxes - for SQL Server, Analysis Services Server, Integration Services Server, etc. Mark the Integration Services Server checkbox, select other components as needed. Follow the wizard interface.
    Friday, September 29, 2006 6:25 AM
  • Michael,

I am currently receiving "the product level insufficient for component" on three different components within my SSIS package (Data Conversion, Script, and Excel Source).  I can execute the package from Business Intelligence Development Studio without error.  However, when I try to run the package from SQL Server Management Studio or run as part of an SQL Agent Job, it errors out.  I have read through this thread extensively and I have not been able to find a valid solution to my problem. 

I can duplicate this issue on 2 different servers.  One of the servers is running XP Professional with the Developer version of SQL Server installed.  The other is running Windows Server 2003 and has the Enterprise Edition of SQL Server Installed.  Both Boxes have had SP1 applied and both definitely have SSIS installed.  Why am I receiving this error?  Could it be a problem with the package itself?  Please help!

Thanks,

Aaron

Friday, September 29, 2006 11:09 PM
  • Check my older reply:

How do i know whether the 'real' SSIS is installed or not?

Check whether you have "SQL Server Integration Services" service installed - its presence is reliable indicator of full SSIS install. If you don't have this service (and most likely you don't) - you don't have SSIS installed.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 12:58 AM
  • Well I know that I have some form of SSIS installed.  I have numerous other packages that I run on both servers without any problems...  I guess I need to check if I have the "real" version of SSIS installed.  On my production server, I have the Enterprise version of SQL Server running...  shouldn't that contain the "real" version of SSIS?
    Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:25 PM
  • I just checked...  Both of my servers have the SSIS Service running.  This means I have the "real" version correct?  If so... Why am I getting this error?

Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:37 PM
  • Yes, if the service is installed, you have the "real" version and should not be getting this error.

I would contact product support, as what you describe seems like a product bug or installation issue, but it is unlikely it can be resolved via forum.
    Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:51 AM
  • This is absoultely rediculous!  My company has  purchased the Enterprise Edition of SQL Server 2005 and I have found an obvious bug with it.  I need support... I have to pay an exorbitant amount of money just to talk to someone for phone support?  Michael, what are my options???
    Tuesday, October 03, 2006 7:13 PM
  •  

I tend to agree with you.

I have got the developer edition of SQL 2005 installed, including SSIS with the service running, and I am getting this problem as well.  Plus we have also installed SP1 which makes absolutely no difference.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

Monday, October 09, 2006 1:53 PM
  •  

All,

I have opened up a "feedback" issue regarding this "product level is insufficient" error at connect.microsoft.com.  EVERYONE PLEASE GO TO THIS WEBSITE AND VALIDATE THAT YOU TOO ARE EXPERIENCING THE PROBLEM! 

The title of my feedback is:

SSIS - Error: The product level is insufficient for component... (w/ Enterprise Edition)

Here is the link:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=217596

Thank you!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 6:08 PM
  •  Aaron_G wrote:

All,

I have opened up a "feedback" issue regarding this "product level is insufficient" error at connect.microsoft.com.  EVERYONE PLEASE GO TO THIS WEBSITE AND VALIDATE THAT YOU TOO ARE EXPERIENCING THE PROBLEM! 

The title of my feedback is:

SSIS - Error: The product level is insufficient for component... (w/ Enterprise Edition)

Here is the link:

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=217596

Thank you!

Aaron,

It may help if you provide the package with which you are experiencing these problems. Post it up there as an attachment.

-Jamie

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 6:29 PM
  • Good idea...  I will do that now.
    Wednesday, October 11, 2006 8:17 PM
  •  

I have been to your link and validated the bug.  No one else has as yet though!

Also I have found that it happens running running a package that builds a cube!  Has anyone else found this as well?

Monday, October 16, 2006 10:01 AM
  • Thanks, clairey_lou...  We need more people to validate this bug!
    Monday, October 16, 2006 10:13 PM
  • Aaron G: I'm experiencing the same thing. I updated the feedback page myself. Have you tried to use the prior version DTS on SQL 2005, in the "Legacy" section? Or does that only allow you to execute legacy packages?

As an aside, I'm in general very disappointed with SSIS, even without this bug, and I feel they tried to fix too many things that weren't broken.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 7:36 PM
  • Sorry Andrew... I have not tried to execute legacy DTS packages on 2005.
    Wednesday, October 18, 2006 5:25 PM
  • I also face the same problem

[Excel Destination [1]] Error: Cannot create an OLE DB accessor. Verify that the column metadata is valid.

Hope there is some bug in product

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:19 AM
  •  Aaron_G wrote:
    I need support...

Aaron - please contact product support services, while we do help with common questions in this forum, the forum does not replace the real product support services.

As my last try to figure out the problem in this forum: you indicated you've installed Enterprise Edition of SQL Server and have the SSIS service running. Let's call this machine "SSEE+SSIS". You then run the package using Management Studio, and it fails. Did you run the Management Studio on the same machine (SSEE+SSIS), or did you run in on another machine? If you run SSMS on another machine, the package is being executed on this second machine, and you need to install SSIS on this second machine.

For details, see
    http://blogs.msdn.com/michen/archive/2006/08/11/package-exec-location.aspx and
    http://blogs.msdn.com/michen/archive/2006/11/11/ssis-product-level-is-insufficient.aspx

If this does not help, please contact product support

Regards,
    Michael.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:35 AM
  • Wow,

This thread goes on for close to a year!

I have just converted my server at a US Top 50 corp, and am in big trouble with this import from Excel problem. I can't believe that the above post says to use Real Product Support Services.  Why should anyone pay for this bug fix? I have been importing and exporting in SQL 2000 for years without problems.

Adding an Access database between SQL Server and Excel may work, but that is a poor resolution of the problem.

In only one day, I have found the following very serious issues:

1) The issue in this thread

2) The view designer replaces "Select *" with a select of the explicitly listed columns. This is very bad.  Someone opened up a number of my very simple views that layered a couple of fields onto a select * of a table, and now my views have every field of the underlying table listed. This has made those views unmaintainable. 

Since it has been 5 years since the last server version, and this version has been on the market for a year, I am quite suprised to find these issues so soon.

Friday, November 17, 2006 8:39 PM
  • I would too very like this thread to be closed and people instead start new threads, because the thread now discusses dozen of different issues that often has nothing to do with the original issue at all. More, when people say "I have the same issue" it does not help at all, because it does not explain which of the dozen issues they have or believe to have.

Please stop posting here :)
    Friday, November 17, 2006 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

Try install Integration services and deinstall it. The installation process will copy files needed by SQL to import flat files into tabels without error.

Fix is not part of SP1 yet so that is at all wether it is installed or not.

Gergo

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 1:31 PM
  • thanks. your post was really helpful. I got around my problem.

Thanks a million.

Aidios.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 4:50 AM
  • I dunno. I just installed SQL Server 2005 SP1 on my laptop and I can't get the DTS tutorial to run from SSIS. I too get that "product level is insuffient" error.

Ken

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem.

Do you fix the problem yet?

Thanks

Friday, April 27, 2007 3:06 PM
  • I think there may be a bigger issue here that hasn't been considered.  The Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio is supposed to be backwards compatible with 2000.  That way a person can manage SQL2005 and SQL2000 boxes with one tool.

Try importing a text file into a SQL 2000 box with the tool and it fails with the error: "Data Flow Task: The product level is insufficient for component".  The solution is to install SSIS on the server.  Hmmm....   SSIS isn't part of SQL 2000 and can't be installed as part of it. 

I think that either the tool should be made compatible (import flat files without SSIS) or stop the claim that it's backwards compatible for managing a SQL2000 box.  I have to have two tools to be able to manage the two types of servers (upgrading some of the servers isn't viable at this time). 

Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:12 PM
  •  Michael Entin - MSFT wrote:
    I would too very like this thread to be closed and people instead start new threads, because the thread now discusses dozen of different issues that often has nothing to do with the original issue at all. More, when people say "I have the same issue" it does not help at all, because it does not explain which of the dozen issues they have or believe to have.

Please stop posting here Smile

Locking thread.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:15 PM