none
softwares required / installation steps for using SSRS 2008 along with SQL server 2005 as DataSource

Question

• Hi,

I want to use SSRS 2008 to develop reports, but SQL server 2005 should be used as datasource, so I assume that,

1) MS Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008 should be installed to get SSRS 2008 and BIDS

2) SQL server 2005 should be installed and in "Reporting Services Configuration Manager" the Database section should point to SQL server 2005

Please suggest whether the approach is correct or not, if not please give me the correct way to achieve it.

Thanks,

Avinash

Friday, November 12, 2010 6:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Avinash,

Business Intelligence Development Studio(BIDS) is a Visual Studio shell, which is come with SQL Server. So, in order to get BIDS installed, we don't need to install Microsoft Visual Studio. What we need is selecting BIDS while installing SQL Server.

If we just want to use SQL Server 2005 as data source for some reports, we don't need to point to SQL Server 2005 in the Database section in "Reporting Services Configuration Manager". However, if we want to save the Report Server catalog database in a SQL Server 2005 instance, we need to do so.

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Hi Avinash,

Yes.

For this topic, I would suggest you reading http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159165(v=SQL.100).aspx

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Avinash,

Business Intelligence Development Studio(BIDS) is a Visual Studio shell, which is come with SQL Server. So, in order to get BIDS installed, we don't need to install Microsoft Visual Studio. What we need is selecting BIDS while installing SQL Server.

If we just want to use SQL Server 2005 as data source for some reports, we don't need to point to SQL Server 2005 in the Database section in "Reporting Services Configuration Manager". However, if we want to save the Report Server catalog database in a SQL Server 2005 instance, we need to do so.

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Thanks Jin,

Server name to connect to SQL server 2005 is 'server05' and I design reports using SSRS 2008, so while editing DataSource does the name 'server05' come in the dropdown list of 'Server Name' ?

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Hi Avinash,

Yes.

For this topic, I would suggest you reading http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159165(v=SQL.100).aspx

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:16 AM