none
Cannot open port 1433

Question

• Hi -

I just installed Sql Server 2008r2 on win server 2008r2.  I have:

-          Enabled remote connections on the server

-          Enabled TCP/IP on the server and made a rule in the server firewall for port 1433 (tcp) and for 1434 (udp) for the sql browser.

-          Restarted the database engine.

When ping the server – it goes through OK but when I telnet to port 1433 it fails to connect.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Parker

Mike

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:13 PM

Answers

• Insul; I am on a lan so there is no firewall.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

On lans there can be firewalls to. Most of the time, in corporate environments, this is the issue . The SERVER vlan and the CLIENT vlan van have rules on them to block stuff like SQL traffic.  Anyway, make sure your test computer is in the same vlan as the server.

the sql browser has nothing to do with connections to port 1433, it just makes your instance discoverable, i prefer to disable the browser.

Since you tried telnetting and this does not work, dit you try running netstat - a on your sql server and verify if there is a process listeneing on 1433 ?

It should look like this: 

Www.visionsofnight.com

• Marked as answer by gmpdba Monday, June 4, 2012 12:12 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 6:18 AM

All replies

• Is there any firewall between your Server and you Computer where are you pinging from?
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Have you tried a SQL client application instead of Telnet?

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:41 PM

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Geoff -

I have.  the client app is a ms access app with an ODBC connection.  When I try to connect - this is the error I get is 2 at state 0100 and 17 at 08001.  I hope this helps and thank you for your help.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:57 PM
  • can you verify you have applied the latest patch on it, also check the error log and event logs is there any errors has been logged in it.

Rama Udaya.K ramaudaya.blogspot.com ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Here is my latest stats:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.50.1600.1
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 10.50.1600.1
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.1.7601.17514
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0 
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.5456
    Operating System 6.1.7601

I am finding an error - Event 17187 which means that the service is totally started and wiling to accept client communication.  I have made sure the database engine is started.

Any thoughts,

Thanks,

Mike Parker

Mike

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:42 PM
  • could you check in SQL Server Configuration Manager which services are running -

please check that SQL Browser is running.

have you enabled TCP/IP protocol on the SQL Server - check it in SSCM

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Just checked SSCM;

SQL Browser was stopped.

TCP/IP protocol is enabled, on port 1433, correct ip.

Could a remote connection to the server before starting the engine make a difference?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Could a remote connection to the server before starting the engine make a difference?

no - but I don't understand the context of this question

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:37 PM
  • David - 

That answered my question.  I was wanted know if my remote connection to the server would cut off csql communications after the database engine was started.  I would assume not but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:43 PM
  • Mike,

can you now connect to the SQL Server after starting SQL Browser?

if not - could you try to connect to SQL Server using SSMS on the server hosting the SQL Server?

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:11 PM

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

On lans there can be firewalls to. Most of the time, in corporate environments, this is the issue . The SERVER vlan and the CLIENT vlan van have rules on them to block stuff like SQL traffic.  Anyway, make sure your test computer is in the same vlan as the server.

the sql browser has nothing to do with connections to port 1433, it just makes your instance discoverable, i prefer to disable the browser.

Since you tried telnetting and this does not work, dit you try running netstat - a on your sql server and verify if there is a process listeneing on 1433 ?

It should look like this: 

Www.visionsofnight.com

• Marked as answer by gmpdba Monday, June 4, 2012 12:12 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Start your SQL browser service
    Friday, June 1, 2012 10:14 AM
  • SQL Server 2005 and above, no longer use port 1433, they use a dynamic port set at runtime, unless you changed it to a fixed port.

You either need to enable SQL Browser, or look in the log file for the port being used.

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Start your SQL browser service
    Monday, June 4, 2012 5:59 AM
  • Thanks,  I turned "listening All" off and the sql browser off and was able to telnet from the client to the sql server.  

Thanks for all of the help.

Mike

Mike

Monday, June 4, 2012 12:16 PM