none
Type in first few characters to select items in a large list quicker

Question

• is there a way that you can type in the first few characters of an item in a dropdown box eg if you type ‘rad’ in the dropdown box it will take you to the first item starting with ‘rad’.

Is it possible that you could type in rad to get you to radiator for example?

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi LordLucan,

If you are running SQL Server Reporting Services 2008, by default, you can type in one character to select related items in a large list quicker. For example, the following is the parameter values dropdown list:

a1bcd
    a2dcd
    a3bbb
    B2
    b1
    C2
    Cdsc
    D4
    d21
    dddd
    Fsdf
    f45
    Fsdfsd
    f2

When you select the parameter, key "F" character, the "Fsdf" will appear in the parameter textbox, and press the "F" key again, the "f45" will be current item. Note that it does not support more than one characters to match items in the list.

thanks,
    Jerry 

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:42 AM

All replies

• I presume that you can't type in Dropdownlist of SSRS, instead of that create one more parameter with Text dataType, allow users to enter value in Textbox and pass that the value to dataset to fetch the data to populate the Dropdownlist. 

Nanda - Misys Software Solutions,Bangalore
    Friday, July 16, 2010 9:24 AM
  • I am still new to sql server so is there an example that i could take a look at or on the forum somewhere to guide me? Thanks
    Friday, July 16, 2010 9:41 AM
  • First thing you cannot type anything in drop down.. But if you want to achieve your functionality you can use autocomplete text box

please refer below link for sample

http://www.asp.net/ajax/ajaxcontroltoolkit/Samples/AutoComplete/AutoComplete.aspx

type in text box like 'abc' it will show you matched records.

Friday, July 16, 2010 10:01 AM
  • Create a Stored Procedure which will bring the fields you need to search.

Say I want to search for a book tilte. then My SP will contain a parameter where I would specify "LIKE" @Title.

So when I type the first alphabet, it will give me all the possible titles with that first alphabet. 

I dont have any examples right now, but I can provide you in some 8 hours when i get back home. 

Friday, July 16, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Hi

Your need to use something called cascading parameters where the information you type in is used by a data set to populate another

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337169.aspx

Hope this helps Robert Edgson
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:01 PM
  • in SSRS... use Report Parameters to give an option to filter dataset on a particular text base. 

For this on report layout. go to Report>Report Parameter then add new parameter without selecting Multi Value suppose the name "TestParameter"

then add new datasource or shared datasource

then while creating dataset from this datasource write your query like select x,y from table1 where z=@z

then go to parameters tab and add new parameter with same name @z and in value box against this parameter select "TestParameter" which you have create earlier.

this will give you a option to filter you dataset.

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:11 PM
  • i dont think we have something like Autocomplete feature in ssrs 2008 as like we have it in Asp.net with AJAX. Can anyone affirm it from SSRS side?
    Regards, KarthikShanth. "Mark as Answer" if this helps you!

Shanth's techwitz

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Disclaimer: The contents, I write here are my personal views, not the view of my employer and anyone else.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 4:00 PM
  • is there a way that you can type in the first few characters of an item in a dropdown box eg if you type ‘rad’ in the dropdown box it will take you to the first item starting with ‘rad’.

Is it possible that you could type in rad to get you to radiator for example?

One possible soln, is to use the search filters in ASP.Net web page with the help of AJAX and later from the result you can order the SSRS to retrieve the relevant data to show in report..Well, we need to use reportviewer in this scenario.
    Regards, KarthikShanth. "Mark as Answer" if this helps you!

Shanth's techwitz

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Disclaimer: The contents, I write here are my personal views, not the view of my employer and anyone else.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Hi LordLucan,

If you are running SQL Server Reporting Services 2008, by default, you can type in one character to select related items in a large list quicker. For example, the following is the parameter values dropdown list:

a1bcd
    a2dcd
    a3bbb
    B2
    b1
    C2
    Cdsc
    D4
    d21
    dddd
    Fsdf
    f45
    Fsdfsd
    f2

When you select the parameter, key "F" character, the "Fsdf" will appear in the parameter textbox, and press the "F" key again, the "f45" will be current item. Note that it does not support more than one characters to match items in the list.

thanks,
    Jerry 

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:42 AM
  • THat would be great if you could
    Friday, July 23, 2010 3:34 PM
  • I am using ssrs 2008 but still in parameter drop down list when I press the first character it does not move to the item starting with the character pressed. Dn't know what's going wrong
    Monday, October 11, 2010 8:01 AM
  • Having similar issue.  Can you give guidance on the resolution?
    • Edited by SMMM Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:05 PM
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:05 PM
  • I needed to accomplish something similar to create a purchase history report for buyers. Selecting from a list of 20,000 values was not practical. I accomplished this by using two data sets and two parameters. The first parameter filters the full list of buyers which is then used as the pick list for the second parameter. It's not elegant, per se, but definitely fulfilled the requirement.

Typing Key% in @Search field feeds Key% as a filter to the full list of buyers. This allows the second parameter to populate with the filtered values of Keystone Keys and More, Keybox, Keyboard, etc. Doing it this way, you'll need to use % instead of * for the wildcard. (Like '%searchtext%')

DataSet1: Buyer List
    SELECT DISTINCT name AS Buyer, buyerno AS BuyerNumber
    FROM            buyers AS b
    WHERE        (name LIKE @Search)

Data set2: Buyer History
    SELECT *
    FROM buyerhistory
    WHERE       (buyerhistory.buyername =@Buyer)

Parameter1
    Name:@Search
    Properties: Visible, Text, Prompt: Search Text: Use % for wildcard

Parameter 2
    Name @Buyer
    Properties: Visible, Text, Get Values from query (DataSet1, Value:Buyer, Label: Buyer)

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:51 PM