none
SQLWriter Event ID: 24583 while trying to use VSS

Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with SQL Server 2008 on Server 2008. The server is VM and it´s backup is done by Veeam Backup. While trying to do a volume shadow copy an error occurs:

Sqllib-Fehler: OLE DB-Fehler beim Aufrufen von IDBInitialize::Initialize. hr = 0x80004005. SQLSTATE: HYT00, Native Error: 0

Source: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0

Error message: Login timeout expired

SQLSTATE: 08001, Native Error: -1

Error message: A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.

SQLSTATE: 08001, Native Error: -1

Error state: 1, Severity: 16

Error message: SQL Server Network Interfaces: Server doesn't support requested protocol [xFFFFFFFF].

DBPROP_INIT_DATASOURCE: KMG-BMS\KMGBMSSQL

DBPROP_INIT_CATALOG: master

DBPROP_AUTH_INTEGRATED: SSPI

and then:

Volumeschattenkopie-Dienst-Warnung: Das Verarbeiten der Fixieren-Benachrichtigung durch den Generator hat zu viel Zeit in Anspruch genommen. Dies kann dazu führen, dass bei diesem Generator als auch bei anderen Generatoren eine Zeitüberschreitung auftritt, sodass die Schattenkopie nicht erstellt werden kann.

Vorgang:

Freeze-Ereignis

Kontext:

Ausführungskontext: Writer

Generatorklassen-ID: {18ec56c4-e042-497d-a3d4-eea24284fa03}

Generatorname: VeeamFreezeWriter

Generatorinstanz-ID: {6054f734-6669-41a7-bcba-ca58609b476b}

Seems to be that a connection to the database is not possible, but why? On other sql servers which are also VM and Veeam it is working...

Maybe someone has an idea?!

Thank you,

Dirk

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:38 AM

All replies

•  

Might be an Issue with Remote Time Query Time out.

Right Click on SQL Server Instance on  Server Properties Goto Connections setting and increase the Remote Time Query Time out

The Default Would be 600 Change to '0' = No Timeout and Try Again.

Nag Pal MCTS/MCITP (SQL Server 2005/2008) :: Please Mark Answer/vote if it is helpful ::
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Yes, I tried "0" as timeout already, but with no affect.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:15 PM
  • Hi Dirk,

It might be the connection issue between the SQL Server and Veeam Backup Server. Please try to check if the SQL Server service is running and the remote connection is enabled. Please see: How to enable remote connections in SQL Server 2008?

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, December 30, 2011 4:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by KMG_IT Tuesday, January 03, 2012 10:49 AM
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Hi Dirk

which protocol are you using ? Could you check if tcpip and named pipes are the same as on the instance where it works ?

I see it's a named instance, do you have SQL Browser running ? Is the tcp port static or dynamic ?

Cheers,

Marco

Marco Carozzi
    Monday, December 26, 2011 11:39 AM
  • Hi Stephanie,

SQL Server is running and remote connections are enabled.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Hi Marco,

tcp port is static, SQL Browser is also running.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 10:50 AM
  • Hi KMG_IT

Did you get anywhere with this? I have the same issue as of last night, a Server 2008 R2 VMware VM running SQL 2008 R2 has been backing up nicely in Veeam for a couple of months until last night when the Veeam job failed with 'VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout'.

I first assumed that the VSS writers had got in a mess and a reboot would fix it but that did not help. I then attempted to create a non-quiesced snapshot in vCenter which I expected to fail too but it completed successfully!

I retried the Veeam job and it failed again with the same error so I have logged it with them and will update again once I hear something back.

Interestingly enough, VSSAdmin list writers on the VM shows both the SQLServerWriter and WMI Writer as State: [9] Failed, Last Error: Timed out even after a reboot....

Cheers

Liam

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Hi KMG_IT

Did you get anywhere with this? I have the same issue as of last night, a Server 2008 R2 VMware VM running SQL 2008 R2 has been backing up nicely in Veeam for a couple of months until last night when the Veeam job failed with 'VSSControl: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout'.

I first assumed that the VSS writers had got in a mess and a reboot would fix it but that did not help. I then attempted to create a non-quiesced snapshot in vCenter which I expected to fail too but it completed successfully!

I retried the Veeam job and it failed again with the same error so I have logged it with them and will update again once I hear something back.

Interestingly enough, VSSAdmin list writers on the VM shows both the SQLServerWriter and WMI Writer as State: [9] Failed, Last Error: Timed out even after a reboot....

Cheers

Liam

Hi Liam,

no, but it works since one week now without changing anything!?!

Dirk

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Did you log it with Veeam?
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:29 PM
  • There was a similar issue I worked on. I was getting error:

Error: OLEDB Error encountered calling IDBInitialize::Initialize. hr = 0×80004005. SQLSTATE: HYT00, Native Error: 0 Source: Microsoft SQL Native Client Error message: Login timeout expired SQLSTATE: 08001, Native Error: 2 Source: Microsoft SQL Native Client Error message: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. SQLSTATE: 08001, Native Error: 2 Error state: 1, Severity: 16 Source: Microsoft SQL Native Client Error message: Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2].

DBPROP_INIT_DATASOURCE: Server Name à Default instance name.
    DBPROP_INIT_CATALOG: master
    DBPROP_AUTH_INTEGRATED: SSPI

And the issue was found to be due to wrong registry entry. Please check this blog more details: - http://sql-blogs.com/2012/01/17/troubleshooting-vss-writer-issues/

Kind regards| Harsh Chawla | Personal Blog:- SQL-blogs
    |Team Blog:- Team Blog
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:25 PM