none
SQL Server 2008 R2, Switch Hyperthreading and Turbo Mode On or Off? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I  have a new SQL Server 2008 R2 installation on Server 2008 SP2 X64.
    Hardware is a new Dell R510 with 2*Quad Core E5520 Nehalem CPU's. These new processors supports hyperthreading (task manager shows up 16 logical cores) and a new turbo mode. Now I know that in the past it is recommended to turn off hyperthreading and turbo modes for an SQL Server? Is this still the case for SQL 2008 R2?

Also if it is recommended to keep it enabled how many files should I setup for the tempdb? 8 or 16?

Thanks,

Microsoft Partner
    • Moved by edhickey Friday, July 30, 2010 8:51 PM (From:SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup and Upgrade)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Pls. refer to http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/Perf_tun_srv-R2.mspx

Intel Turbo Boost Technology is a feature that allows Intel processors to achieve additional performance when it is most useful (that is, at high system loads). However, this feature increases CPU core power consumption, so we configure Turbo Boost based on the power policy that is in use. Turbo Boost is enabled for High Performance power plans and disabled on Balanced and Power Saver plans for the current generation of processors. For future processors, this default setting might change depending on the power efficiency of such features.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:10 AM
  • I see your reponse for Turbo Boost, but not hyperthreading.  Is it still not recommended for SQL Server 2008r2?
    Dianne
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm diggin out this post, because I also need to know what Dianne already asked : do SQLServer 2008r2 is compliant and recommended with HyperThreading ?

Thank you.

Regards,

David

Friday, August 5, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

there has been some issue using SQL on Nehalem CPU's. Solution I found here: http://ozamora.com/2010/09/sql-server-2008-r2-and-nehalem-processors/ is about disabling CPU C states (the lower ones: C2 and C3). After that Hyper Threading may remain enabled and everything works fine.

Whether to enable or disable Hyper Threading is up on you I think. Some tests are better with HT, some without HT.

Regards,

Jaroslav.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:37 PM