none
SSIS Connection Manager General TimeOut vs Command Timeout RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

This is first time I am trying to ste timeout on SSIS package ,Can some one let me know which is the best way to set timeout for connection?

And what is the difference between General TimeOut and Command TimeOut?

Thanks,

Shilpa

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:20 PM

Answers

• There are three timeouts:

General
    Connect
    Command

General should be the overall timeout for the connection.  Connect should be just for the connection.  If the connection hasn't been established by the timeout (or the default), it will stop trying to connect.  Command timeout is likely the timeout SSIS will wait for a command to complete.
    Monday, October 15, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• There are three timeouts:

General
    Connect
    Command

General should be the overall timeout for the connection.  Connect should be just for the connection.  If the connection hasn't been established by the timeout (or the default), it will stop trying to connect.  Command timeout is likely the timeout SSIS will wait for a command to complete.
    Monday, October 15, 2007 6:52 PM
  • What is meant by "If the connection hasn't been established by the timeout (or the default), it will stop trying to connect.".

I am facing similar problem, it is not trying to reconnect. I don't understand the reason behind. How can i avoid this error?

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Varugupt,

I suggest you create your own unresolved thread in order to expedite your issue resolution.

I will nevertheless try to help you quickly here:

1. your question "If the connection hasn't been established by the timeout (or the default), it will stop trying to connect." -- answer: an attempt to establish a connection would not last forever, it is limited to a certain value (or duration in time if you wish) of typically milliseconds. So if you ask to establish a connection and it does not connect within normally a very short time - you have a connectivity issue at hand that you (or your admins) have to resolve. A connection must be made reasonably quick, very quick, as soon as possible ideally, otherwise the solution is not workable.
    2. If you tell it is not trying to connect then you have a slightly different problem, please explain in as many details as possible as how you connect, to what, error message(s), whether you are able to connect using other methods, etc.

In most cases, this is due to security.

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:58 PM