none
What options for SSRS on Azure? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer with SQL databases on premise with SSRS reports.

What are my options to move this to Azure?

I would prefer to use something like SQL Azure rather than handling my own servers on the cloud.

What happens to SSRS, then? Is there an option to run SSRS other than on a cloud instance of Windows (implying a SQL Server license...)?

Are we supposed to replace SSRS by Power BI?

Eric Mamet _ MCDBA, SQL Server 2005 MCTS, MCAD .Net

Saturday, October 12, 2019 5:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

For this scenario, you could move SQL Server to Azure SQL, but unfortunately SSRS is not included in Azure SQL. You could either host the SSRS on premise or on a VM on Azure. 

You could check similar issue : 

How to setup SSRS with an Azure SQL Server Database

SQL Reporting Services availability in Azure PaaS

Regarding to your other question, for this scenario, Power BI and SSRL Power BI have similar position. It also need to have a VM as hosting enviroment or to be host on premises.

The you could check the pre-defined VM package of PowerBI here: Power BI Report Server

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Ok, it pretty much confirms what I thought regarding SSRS.

However, for Power BI, I think I could just use the cloud based service, couldn't I?

Eric Mamet _ MCDBA, SQL Server 2005 MCTS, MCAD .Net

Friday, October 18, 2019 9:40 AM
  •  PBI for now, in Azure, is pretty much the same as SSRS. Those package above is just a predefined VM environment. In another word, it still needs a VM.

So,  for now, no we couldn't.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:57 AM