SQL Server Management Studio 2012 Standard Edition RRS feed

• Question

• I am struggling to find where to download the SSMS 2012 Standard Edition i.e. not Express. 

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:47 AM

Answers

• About SSMS. (I received this error when trying to save an export data process using the wizzard)

I realize that there are probably more inter dependencies here than I appreciate.

Let me rather ask this then; Am I struggling to find the standard edition downloads because these are bundled with the full SQL server which one would need to purchase? 

Yes

You're correct

SSIS comes only with standard edition and above of SQL Server

A light version of SSIS is Export Import wizard which is integrated into SSMS and is available for creating quick export import packages and save them. But any modifications for these packages have to be done through SSDT which again is a part of paid edition. Also running the SSIS outside SSMS also requires installation of Integration Services component which is part of Standard Edition and above

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

• Marked as answer by JohnnoP Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:33 AM

All replies

• Any reason why you specifically look for SSMS 2012?

You can install any of the recent releases to connect to SQL 2012 instance

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/sql-server-management-studio-changelog-ssms#previous-ssms-releases

If you need the one which comes with 2012 installer then you need to get an installer for SQL 2012 STD and then choose desktop client components while running the installer. 

Visakh
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Tried 2017 but got the error

Storing or modifying packages in SQL server requires the SSIS runtime and database to be the same version... (whilst trying to save an SSIS package to the server)

Any idea where would I can find an installer for SQL 2012 STD?

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:05 AM
  • Tried 2017 but got the error

Storing or modifying packages in SQL server requires the SSIS runtime and database to be the same version... (whilst trying to save an SSIS package to the server)

Any idea where would I can find an installer for SQL 2012 STD?

So are you asking about SSDT and not SSMS?

You use SSDT for modifying packages and you also have to install integration services components if you want SSIS packages to be executed outside of SSDT

Visakh
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:11 AM
  • About SSMS. (I received this error when trying to save an export data process using the wizzard)

I realize that there are probably more inter dependencies here than I appreciate.

Let me rather ask this then; Am I struggling to find the standard edition downloads because these are bundled with the full SQL server which one would need to purchase? 
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:23 AM

Yes

You're correct

SSIS comes only with standard edition and above of SQL Server

A light version of SSIS is Export Import wizard which is integrated into SSMS and is available for creating quick export import packages and save them. But any modifications for these packages have to be done through SSDT which again is a part of paid edition. Also running the SSIS outside SSMS also requires installation of Integration Services component which is part of Standard Edition and above

Visakh
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

• Marked as answer by JohnnoP Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:33 AM