"Form region" for calendar views in outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am new to outlook add-in development using API. Could you kindly help with below questions.

Overview: I would like to show a "form region" when calendar is selected in outlook. I also would like to show some custom HTML content in the reading pane (or any pane like task pane adjacent to main calendar pane). I will attach image to this question once my account is approved.

Questions:

1)Are API add-ins allowed for Calendar views in Outlook?

2) Are & custom form regions allowed for Calendar views in Outlook?

3) Would it be possible to show Custom form region here in Calendar's reading pane when no specific time is selected in the calendar?

4) Would it be possible to show Custom form region here in Calendar's reading pane when specific appointment type is selected in the calendar?

Thank you

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:21 AM

Answers

• Hello Bhaanu,

1. You can use Windows API for customizing Outlook window. See Creating Adjacent Windows In Outlook for the sample code. Also you may consider using Advanced Outlook view and form regions .

2. You can do whatever you need using Windows API functions.

3. Yes, it is. See Creating Adjacent Windows In Outlook for the sample code. Moreover, you can display your own form instead of reading pane when no specific time is selected.

4. The How to: Prevent Outlook from Displaying a Form Region article describes a possible way for hiding the form dynamically. Also you may consider using the Visible property of the FormRegion class which allows to set a Boolean value that indicates whether the form region is visible or hidden. True if the form region is visible; False if it is hidden. The default is True.

For example, you can handle the SelectionChange event of the Explorer which is fired when the user selects a different or additional Microsoft Outlook item programmatically or by interacting with the user interface. This event also occurs when the user (either programmatically or via the user interface) clicks or switches to a different folder that contains items, because Outlook automatically selects the first item in that folder. In the event handler you can check out the selected item and set the Visible property if required.

P.S. You may find the Hiding and Showing an Adjoining Outlook Form Region article helpful.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:00 AM