none
Error 3183 - Severity: 16, State: 1 - RESTORE detected an error on page

Question

• Using SQL Server 2005, backing up an MSCRM application database.  Full recovery mode.  Backing up full, differential, and transaction logs.

Noticed more frequent failures on this recently, and have begun to investigate.

RESTORE detected an error on page (6100:1886858449) in database "MSCRM" as read from the backup set.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot further?

Thanks,

Boolean1
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:51 PM

All replies

• If you are trying to restore a database from a backup file, it appears to me that backup file is corrupted.

When you perform a backup use CHECKSUM option and then

before restoring run the following 

RESTORE VERIFYONLY FROM DISK = 'path\backupfile.BAK'

there is no easy fix for this error without possibility of some data loss, if database is still online and working fine perform another backup with checksum.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Actually, this is on the full backup with "verify backup integrity" checkbox checked.  So, I'm assuming the error is encountered when the integrity is checked.

The database is still online and working fine, though with some performance problems.

I've just run a full "copy-only" backup with the CHECKSUM option turned on, and that ran successfully:

10 percent processed.
    20 percent processed.
    30 percent processed.
    40 percent processed.
    50 percent processed.
    60 percent processed.
    70 percent processed.
    80 percent processed.
    90 percent processed.
    Processed 320952 pages for database 'MSCRM', file 'MSCRM' on file 1.
    Processed 17 pages for database 'MSCRM', file 'sysft_ftcat_documentindex' on file 1.
    Processed 2 pages for database 'MSCRM', file 'MSCRM_log' on file 1.
    100 percent processed.
    BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 320971 pages in 90.630 seconds (29.012 MB/sec).
    The backup set on file 1 is valid.

Is there any way I can tell why the normal full backup routine is failing?

Boolean1
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:23 PM
  • When a backup job failed, it normally writes a log in the SQL Server Error log as well as Windows Application event log. You should start looking for the detailed error message from this log, error number, error state, severity, etc.

When is the last time CheckDB completed successfully on this database? If you already have a valid backup, then restore it on the test environment and run DBCC CHECKDB . You should make sure that you have a good backup with you, only be restoring the same and with a clean CHECKDB.

SKG: Please Marked as Answered, if it resolves your issue.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Going back to original question...
    If you check "Verify..." it fires restore verifyonly command.

Few more questions to move into right direction.

1. What is the backup media? Disk or Tape?
    2. Whats the output of DBCC CHECKDB of database?
    3. Mostly its due to media write failure during backup operation.
    4. As Sankar asked, do you see any IO related error in Errro log
    5. Any error in windows event log at the same time?
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:24 AM