none
SQL Server 2005 Database restore error

All replies

• An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo) ------------------------------ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Too many backup devices specified for backup or restore; only 64 are allowed. RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3205) For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=08.00.0194&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=3205&LinkId=20476 ------------------------------ BUTTONS: OK ------------------------------ I also have its 'MDF' and 'LDF' file. When I try to attach it, I get the following message:

Error looks like you are restoring 2005 Backup file in 2000 which is not possible. Check again and run Select @@Version in the window where you are running your restoration script

Madhu

Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:21 AM
  • Hi Roshan Welcome to MSDN Forums Smile

I have not tried to restore/attach in the same instance name from which it was backed up. Is it compulsory to have same instance name to attach/restore?

No it is not required ! but As Madhu pointed out you need to ensure that you restore Sql 2005 backup to another Sql 2005 server. Pls confirm if it was Sql 2005.

- Deepak
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:53 AM
  • Thanks Deepak/Madhu to reply. Definately it is Sql 2005 and not Sql 2000. The message pattern itself clarifies that. Can you tell me anything about error: 3205?

- Roshan

Monday, November 19, 2007 3:43 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure whether this works, try to create a db in the same name and then try restoring (overwrite on the existing db) the db. For Error 3205 refer the below link.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2239230&SiteID=1

Monday, November 19, 2007 3:55 AM
  • Roshan,

The Error 3205 generally occurs while restoring sql 2005 to sql 2000. But since you have confirmed it is Sql 2005, can you verify the integrity of the bacup file...using,

Code Block

Restore Verifyonly from disk='Path of your backupfile\Backupfile name.bak'

Regards

Deepak

Monday, November 19, 2007 3:59 AM
  • Roshan,
                If the backup file is also Valid, then can you try performing the restoration using T- SQL commands intead of GUI,

(a) RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK='D:\YourBackupfilename.bak'
         GO
    (b) RESTORE DATABASE NewDatabaseName
         FROM DISK='D:\YourBackupfilename.bak'
    WITH MOVE'LOgiclaName of the SOurceDatafile' TO 'D:\NewDatabase.mdf',
    MOVE 'Logicalname of sourcelogfile' TO'D:\NewDatabase_log.ldf'

Note : To get the logical file name  run the step (a) and copy past the data and log file name
    Change the script accordingly and run

If you are restoring in Sql 2000 (by mistake) then you will be getting the below error !
    Msg 3169, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    The backed-up database has on-disk structure version 611. The server
    supports version 539 and cannot restore or upgrade this database.

- Deepak
    Monday, November 19, 2007 4:12 AM
  •  Roshan Raj Tamrakar wrote:

Hi experts,

I had a database in sql server 2005 under instance name 'rohit\cvman'. I took its backup. The computer is formatted and sql server 2005 is installed again with instance name 'rtamrakar\cvmanager'. When I try to restore it, it ends up with the following message (copied from message box).

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Too many backup devices specified for backup or restore; only 64 are allowed.
    RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3205)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=08.00.0194&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=3205&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I also have its 'MDF' and 'LDF' file. When I try to attach it, I get the following message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Attach database failed for Server 'rtamrakar'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.1399.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Attach+database+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Could not find row in sysindexes for database ID 15, object ID 1, index ID 1. Run DBCC CHECKTABLE on sysindexes.
    Could not open new database 'CVManager'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 602)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=602&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I have not tried to restore/attach in the same instance name from which it was backed up. Is it compulsory to have same instance name to attach/restore?

Can any one help me?

Thank you.

(a) In the first error (Backup/Restore) SQL+Server&ProdVer=08.00.0194  says that its 2000

(b) Tell us how you are attaching database.  create script using sp_attach_db stored procedure and if its giving you error post back the error

Madhu

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:44 AM
  • Thanks Madhu,

Though it does not matter how I do it. I issued the following command in query analyzer (in sql2005):

EXEC sp_attach_db @dbname = N'CVManager',

@filename1 = N'c:\dld\CVManager.mdf',

@filename2 = N'c:\dld\CVManager_log.ldf' ;

and got the following error which is similar to what I posted earlier:

Msg 1813, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Could not open new database 'CVManager'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.

Msg 602, Level 21, State 50, Line 1

Could not find row in sysindexes for database ID 15, object ID 1, index ID 1. Run DBCC CHECKTABLE on sysindexes.

If it is helpful...I have both sql 2000 and sql2005 installed in my computer. Does it have to do anything with this bug?

Thanks to all anyway.

-Roshan

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:00 AM
  • It sounds like you may be using SQL 2005 tools but it is connected to the SQL 2000 instance on the machine. You need to fix the connection so it is using the SQL 2005 instance.

You should validate that the instance is the right version by "SELECT @@version".

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:33 PM
  • Hi everybody,

Thanks to all you  for your concern. But believe me, I am not using SQL 2000 mistakenly in this process. I am trying to restore/attach my sql2005 file by opening 'SQL Server Management Studio' which is sql2005. I am not trying it to attach it via code. Also the backup is taken from 2005 because I don't have this database in sql2000.

As I found this not possible...I again formatted my computer and installed sql2005 with 'rohit/cvman' instance. Now the file is successfully attached without any problem!

Having this said...I think you guys have not encountered this problem because you have not tried to attach database of one instance to another. Please try this and let me know if I was right or wrong.

Thank you.

-Roshan

Friday, November 23, 2007 4:09 AM
  • UnInstall EXPRESS Edition of Managemnet studio.....It will work....
    Many Thanks Deepak
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:52 AM
  • Hello Roshan

Attaching or Restoring from Lower version/same version in differant instance is daily practice for DEV/QA/UAT boxes....

might be some thing wrong in your approch to restore/attach ...I mean some thing else may stoped your process.

Please re-analyze

SNIVAS
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:36 PM
  • While restoring cross check if the logical file names are same or not.I have verified in my system it is running fine.you just to verify the logical filename of the bothe data nad log files,also check if full text was enabled or not .If full text was enabled then you need to define the logical file name of the full text index and the storage loaction would be the data file location .

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem. OR "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you. Thanks, Debasish Mohanty Blog:http://sqlcodebank.blogspot.com

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:51 PM