none
Connecting to SQL SERVER EXPRESS database on Windows 10 remotely after migrating from SQL Server standard RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have a SQL Server database on Windows 2003 server with MS SQL-Server 2000 standard edition. I backed up and restored the database onto a Windows 10 machine with SQL EXPRESS 2008 R2 (for compatibility purposes I could not use a higher version).

The application that accesses the database runs ok on the Windows 10 machine locally but the application cannot connect to the SQL Server remotely from another workstaion. The database is setup to accept remote connections and to allow mixed authentication, windows and sql-server. I use the sa user to connect which is configured in an INI file. Using the same configuration file I can connect to the old server but cannot connect to the new server after changing the configuration to point to the new computer (acting as server) with Windows 10 hosting  the Express database.

I did not find any errors in the event logs of the client stations. I am not sure how to track and troubleshoot this. Is it a SQL EXPRESS issue, a configuration issue or a security related problem.

If all  fails, as the last resort, I am planning to take an image of the old server's disk and try to make it run on the new computer.

Any  help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Friday, April 22, 2016 5:56 PM

Answers

All replies