strategy for a report with lots of comments RRS feed

• Question

• hi we run 2016 enterprise.

i'm looking at a report requirement that will be structured as follows.  it would be tough to provide a sample...

THE REPORT HEADER

THE LINE ITEM HEADER that applies to the following line

THE COLUMN BASED LINE ITEM DATA (eg item id, qty, price etc, one line always)

-<--item specific comments (unknown number of lines)

-<--report specific comments (unknown number of lines, but only once per report)

THE REPORT FOOTER

there can be another line item snuck between the last item's item specific comments and the report specific comments.  i'd like the next item's line item header to skip to a new page without creating essentially a blank page before the 1st item.  is there an easy way to do that?

• Edited by db042190 Friday, August 7, 2020 5:17 PM forgot item id
    Friday, August 7, 2020 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Not quite clear what you are referring for "creating essentially a blank page before the 1st item"?

But in SSRS , basically we could add new page only by add page break.

I think you could add page break before this so called "next item"

Regards,

Joy

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Proposed as answer by Joy_Zhao Monday, August 10, 2020 2:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Joy_Zhao Monday, August 10, 2020 2:59 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Joy_Zhao Wednesday, August 12, 2020 3:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by db042190 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:45 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2020 2:56 AM
  • thx, that would add a page break (empty page) before the 1st line item header.  that doesnt seeem like a valid answer.   and adding a pg break after item specific comments doesnt seem valid either because i may want report specific comments on the same page as last item specific comments. 
    Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:50 AM
  • Hi

From my understanding you need a footer and header in each  page where you want to add the line .

Thanks and regards

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 11:51 AM
  • thx, i need an ssrs header and footer on every page.  an item's comments can be so lengthy that they go onto multiple pages.  

but either way i'm not sure what you are saying.

• Edited by db042190 Wednesday, August 12, 2020 12:30 PM trying to get poster to be more clear
    Wednesday, August 12, 2020 12:28 PM
  • Can I understand that you want to display the same comment on different pages?

If not, could you describe it in a little more detail?

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !

Thursday, August 13, 2020 7:57 AM
  • It is not possible for SSRS  to have a new page without setting a page break inside the structure.

Thursday, August 13, 2020 8:35 AM