none
Connection manager or Data Source RRS feed

• Question

•  

For seting up the connection should we use Connection Manager or New Connection From Data Source?

The advantage of using Data Source is that we have the connection avalilable at project level but I've studied it somewhere that Data Source is used for SSAS not SSIS.

But I don't have enough explanation to give it to my team, that why I am not using Data Source.

We are working on VSS, do we have to reset the connection managers if want to test our packages on some other machine(else than the one on which it was developed)?

Monday, February 12, 2007 8:55 PM

Answers

•  Paarul wrote:

For seting up the connection should we use Connection Manager or New Connection From Data Source?

The advantage of using Data Source is that we have the connection avalilable at project level but I've studied it somewhere that Data Source is used for SSAS not SSIS.

But I don't have enough explanation to give it to my team, that why I am not using Data Source.

We are working on VSS, do we have to reset the connection managers if want to test our packages on some other machine(else than the one on which it was developed)?

Both SSIS and SSAS can use data sources; but in SSIS they are optional. On my first SSIS projects I started using data sources until I realized SSIS checks the connection manager properties against the DS definition and gives annoying warnings about they being out of sync (usually the order of the parameters in the connection string)...and that happened every time you open a package. So, now I am creating the connection managers without using DS.

Monday, February 12, 2007 9:08 PM

All replies

• I would use connection managers.  (Actually, I DO use connection managers).  Using package configurations, you can make the connections "dynamic" so-to-speak.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 8:58 PM
  •  Paarul wrote:

Both SSIS and SSAS can use data sources; but in SSIS they are optional. On my first SSIS projects I started using data sources until I realized SSIS checks the connection manager properties against the DS definition and gives annoying warnings about they being out of sync (usually the order of the parameters in the connection string)...and that happened every time you open a package. So, now I am creating the connection managers without using DS.

Monday, February 12, 2007 9:08 PM