none
Suddenly started getting error: Unable to start program 'DTS' when try to execute SSIS Package RRS feed

• Question

• Me and my team member suddenly started getting following error when try to execute SSIS Package in SSDT (VS 2010)

I searched everywhere but virtually no information available about this Error. Anyone has suggestion on how to fix this error?

NOTE: Tried to execute package from command line and it works...   

------------------------------------------------

Error starting debugging.

------------------------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Unable to start program 'DTS'.

Operation not supported. Unknown error: 0x80040038. (Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger)

------------------------------

Thanks,
    Nayan

<a href="http://binaryworld.net/blogs"> Visit My Blog</a>

Friday, February 20, 2015 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Nayan,

According to your description, the SSIS package works fine when you execute it with command line, when you execute it in SSDT, you got the error message: Unable to start program 'DTS'.

To troubleshoot the problem, I would suggest you to upgrade SSDT to latest patch. Please refer to the following steps:

• Download and install the latest Microsoft SQL Server Service Pack.
    • Cumulative Update package SQL Server Service Pack.
    • Download and install Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2.

For more information about Visual Studio 2010 Feature Packs, please refer to the following document:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ff655021.aspx

If the problem remain unresolved, i would appreciate it if you could give us detailed information about the error, it will help us move more quickly toward a solution.

Thanks,
    Wendy Fu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Wendy Fu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:48 AM

All replies

• This happens suddenly you say ,so how to reproduce it?

Perhaps this is what I experienced once having a master package executing a child one that happened to have a breakpoint.

So I suggest you just reboot

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Friday, February 20, 2015 10:10 PM
  • Hi Nayan,

According to your description, the SSIS package works fine when you execute it with command line, when you execute it in SSDT, you got the error message: Unable to start program 'DTS'.

To troubleshoot the problem, I would suggest you to upgrade SSDT to latest patch. Please refer to the following steps:

• Download and install the latest Microsoft SQL Server Service Pack.
    • Cumulative Update package SQL Server Service Pack.
    • Download and install Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2.

For more information about Visual Studio 2010 Feature Packs, please refer to the following document:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ff655021.aspx

If the problem remain unresolved, i would appreciate it if you could give us detailed information about the error, it will help us move more quickly toward a solution.

Thanks,
    Wendy Fu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Wendy Fu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:48 AM
  • Hmm... so was this the actual resolution or marked as resolution because the OP never came back...?

How do I tell if I have a feature pack? Would it be obvious in the Help/About list or hidden as some obscure KB or other?

Edit: May be irrelevant anyway... I see this in the link provided above

• Requires either VS UltimateVS Premium or Test Professional with an MSDN subscription, Microsoft Bizspark or MSDN Academic Alliance.

• Edited by RyanAB Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:27 AM