HealthService 4502: Unable to connect to the remote server [...] host has failed to respond 169.254.169254:80 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I setup Azure Automation | Update Management for my on-premise servers. Everything seems to work fine, except for an error message that is repeatedly logged on all my servers:

• Source: HealthService
    • Event ID: 4502
    • Details: Unable to connect to the remote server [...] host has failed to respond 169.254.169254:80

I don't know what to make of this. The servers all have only one network interface and a statically configured ip address. Azure Automation reports the workers as "Ready" with a last seen time of about 2 minutes and a last registration time of about 30 minutes ago.

Monday, April 20, 2020 5:28 PM

Answers

• Thanks for reaching out!! 169.254.169.254 is the IP address of the Azure Instance MetaData Service (AIMS) which is an REST endpoint accessible to all the VM's created via Azure Resource Manager and it can be accessed only within the VM.

AIMS collects the information from running VM's . As you are using on-premise servers, the AIMS is not accessible via on premise VM, so the errors are being logged in the event viewer.

For more information about AIMS, kindly refer this document.

Hope this helps!!

Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:15 PM

All replies

• Thanks for reaching out!! 169.254.169.254 is the IP address of the Azure Instance MetaData Service (AIMS) which is an REST endpoint accessible to all the VM's created via Azure Resource Manager and it can be accessed only within the VM.

AIMS collects the information from running VM's . As you are using on-premise servers, the AIMS is not accessible via on premise VM, so the errors are being logged in the event viewer.

For more information about AIMS, kindly refer this document.

Hope this helps!!

Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:15 PM
  • Thanks for your response. Since my server is on-premise (hybrid deployment), it will never be able to reach the AIMS service. Thus, it is working as intended and should not throw an error.

Is it possible to disable the communication attempt with AIMS on the agent?
    Friday, April 24, 2020 1:53 PM
  • I am checking internally with the team and we will provide you an update soon.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2020 7:10 AM
  • Any update?
    Monday, May 11, 2020 7:12 PM
  • Currently, there is no workaround to disable the errors on on-prem machines. The main purpose of this rule is to leverage the integration with Azure Arc for servers, so if the you have the MMA agent and the Azure Arc for servers agent, you won't see this error.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:01 PM