none
/ReportServer not showing up in IIS7

Question

• Hello,

I'm installing SSRS2008 on my Windows Server 2008 box, and while the Reporting Services Configuration Manager says that the Web Service URL has been created, when I look in IIS7.0 under "Default Web Site," the Virtual Directory is nowhere to be found.  Furthermore, when I try to access this site, I get the following error page:

Reporting Services Error

• The report server has encountered a configuration error. (rsServerConfigurationError) Get Online Help

SQL Server Reporting Services

Why can't this ____ just work? :P  It seems like pulling teeth whenever I dive into the land of SSRS.

Thank you,
    Michael
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:52 AM

Answers

• Alright... I freakin' figured the thing out.  What a hassle.  I'm sorry for being such a prick with this, but I have yet to have a single experience with SSRS that didn't take an entirely FULL day to get things figured out.  You guys have been developing this for how many years now?  I would think the experience would be so much better.  The Configuration Manager does look much better and does look cleaner, but I was still bamboozled by a bunch of ____, the biggest of which was the SharePoint Add-in which DIDN'T EVEN INSTALL PROPERLY on my Win2k machine.

Once I had SharePoint Integration working properly, the Configuration Manager still shows the Report Manager URL section WHICH ISN'T EVEN VALID FOR A SHAREPOINT-INTEGRATED SCENARIO.  Shouldn't you guys yank that section at the very least or disable it when SharePoint-Integration is enabled?

Anyways, my frustration runs high.  The SQL Family continues to be the ____ step-child of the Microsoft products and has ALWAYS suffered from massive user interface issues, the most being ERROR messages that simply tell you the error but don't offer anyway of fixing it.  That's left for the user to spend 10 hours on Google.

There, I'm done. :P
    • Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Monday, June 29, 2009 11:32 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:32 PM

All replies

• With RS 2008, the report server is no longer hosted in IIS.  You don't even need IIS installed to use reporting services.  This is a change from RS 2005.  So not seeing the reportserver virtual root in IIS is expected.  And that you are receiving an error message from RS does at least indicate that the virtual root is registered correctly.

As far as the configuration problem, do you see any additional error information in the report server log file?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 7:15 AM
  • What on earth?  What sort of black magic is this? :)

Well that's good to know, although quite misleading.  I'm curious on why you would want to circumvent IIS altogether.

Anyways, I found the problem to be related to SharePoint-integrated mode.  It appears when I setup Native mode things just "work." Yay.  However, I am more prone to like all the bells and whistles so I'm aiming for SharePoint-integrated mode...  So I'm sure I'll be spending the next week just to get it to "work." ;)

Where is this log file?  That might help out bunches.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Information about the location and content of the report server trace log is available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156500.aspx

This article talks about why we moved away from IIS: http://blogs.msdn.com/bwelcker/archive/2007/12/04/everybody-why-leave-iis.aspx
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Again.  Pulling teeth.  I am simply trying to install the SharePoint Add-in for SSRS.  And it "interrupts" and rolls back.  I get an error in my Event Log:

SQL database login failed. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

And in my Temp/Log folder: 

User: SYSTEM
    Installing Report Server feature.
    SSRSCustomActionError: SharePoint is installed, but not configured.

This has been exactly the kind of experience I've had w/ SSRS.  It just never "works."  It's basically an entire day to install and configure... even in 2008. :P

Monday, June 29, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Well after a grand adventure in the sun, I have found where the logs reside.  Unfortunately, it appears that they are 0 bytes and locked, so I can't find out what is going on unless I unlock them and get the data to flush into the file.  Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to reboot the machine every time?

Monday, June 29, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Alright... I freakin' figured the thing out.  What a hassle.  I'm sorry for being such a prick with this, but I have yet to have a single experience with SSRS that didn't take an entirely FULL day to get things figured out.  You guys have been developing this for how many years now?  I would think the experience would be so much better.  The Configuration Manager does look much better and does look cleaner, but I was still bamboozled by a bunch of ____, the biggest of which was the SharePoint Add-in which DIDN'T EVEN INSTALL PROPERLY on my Win2k machine.

Once I had SharePoint Integration working properly, the Configuration Manager still shows the Report Manager URL section WHICH ISN'T EVEN VALID FOR A SHAREPOINT-INTEGRATED SCENARIO.  Shouldn't you guys yank that section at the very least or disable it when SharePoint-Integration is enabled?

Anyways, my frustration runs high.  The SQL Family continues to be the ____ step-child of the Microsoft products and has ALWAYS suffered from massive user interface issues, the most being ERROR messages that simply tell you the error but don't offer anyway of fixing it.  That's left for the user to spend 10 hours on Google.

There, I'm done. :P
    • Marked as answer by Mike-EEE Monday, June 29, 2009 11:32 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 11:32 PM