SQL SERVER 2008 R2 :SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified RRS feed

• Question

• A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

My system is connected to the domain. My system has a Default instance of the sql server. I am accessing the sql server instance from another system(i.e remotely) within same domain. Sometimes I am able to connect the sql server properly, but sometimes i am unable to connect the server. My colleagues are not getting any problem while connecting to the sql server within same domain.

Please help with this problem??

Recently i have changed my system name from praveen to sys19. Is that affect while connecting to remote system sql instance. if that affects then it should not connect even single time. but in my case it connects for sometime and again automatically disconnects sometimes.

Firewall is off on both server and local machine.

TCP/IP is enabled

Named pipes enabled.

Please help with this problem

Monday, October 24, 2011 12:56 PM

Answers

• If you can connect sometimes but not at other times you probably have a network problem. At some point when you cannot connect, try running through these troubleshooting steps to narrow down the cause How to Troubleshoot Connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine

And, of course, look through the Windows event logs and SQL Server error logs for hints.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    • Marked as answer by pravin nidoni Friday, October 28, 2011 2:09 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• If you can connect sometimes but not at other times you probably have a network problem. At some point when you cannot connect, try running through these troubleshooting steps to narrow down the cause How to Troubleshoot Connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine

And, of course, look through the Windows event logs and SQL Server error logs for hints.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    • Marked as answer by pravin nidoni Friday, October 28, 2011 2:09 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Hi pravin,

You need to make sure your server name is correct. Your instance name is correct and there is actually such an instance on your target machine. In addition, the server machine is reachable and SQL Browser service is running on the server.

For more information about SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2007/05/13/sql-network-interfaces-error-26-error-locating-server-instance-specified.aspx.

Hope this helps,
    Maggie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, October 28, 2011 8:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by pravin nidoni Friday, October 28, 2011 1:58 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Thanks for reply i got some input from that link .

The problem is with internal network. when i ping server with computer name from my system in same domain, I was getting the response but the average response time is more than 300ms. So i was unable to connect the server machine. 

if response time is 1 to 2 ms then I was able to connect successfully.

if response time is 298 to 300ms then I was unable to connect the server.

I changed the n/w cable its working properly. but again sometime i got same error. I think its internal n/w problem.

Thanks,

Pravin

Friday, October 28, 2011 2:09 PM