none
Problems with windows update installing SQL Server 2005 SP3 KB970892 RRS feed

• Question

• I go to Windows Update and click install update.  After about 30 seconds, I get "failed to update" with an error code 737D.  Anyone have the same problem?  Anybody fix it?  I'm using a Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 64 bit operating system.  I'm looking for a simple fix; I'm not that great with computers. 
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:36 AM

Answers

• My problem was: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) (Windows XP) I kept getting Error Code: 0x737D.  Then antivirus program NOD 32 kept notifying that it needed attention because this critical update needing installing.  I contact Microsoft support who are about to refer me to SQL Support.  However when searching for solutions I came across the following.  I followed these steps and the express did install (when I checked my computer event properties screen) but the computer still indicated I needed to download updates so I found the Mr. Fixit windows support page and a link to "adjust windows update".  The default fix (50202) did not work but I retried it using "aggressive" fix and this seems to have worked and has removed the yellow install needed icon and also the "install updates" on the shutdown  menu.  Thought I would pass this along to others.  **UPDATE** this change did not last.  The express is installed as shown on even screen however the "yellow shield" has now reappeared indicating update still needed.

I found my answer.
    I searched microsoft.com for answers about this failure of KB955706 to install when using "windows update."
    There were no answers for XP Pro and Vista (which are the platforms I am having trouble with. But, the guys at MicroSoft EBS (Esstential Business Server) are aware of the KB955706 install failure on their platform. As explained at:

http://blogs.technet.com/essentialbusinessserver/archive/2009/05/06/sql-2005-sp-3-kb-955706-fails-to-install-on-the-ebs-management-server.aspx

So, emailed them regarding the problem I have had for several months with KB955706 install failures. These fine people directed me to a way to install "SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3". Please note they said "EXPRESS EDITION" and not "SQL Sever 2005 SP3" which is an entirely different product/platform.  It seems most people are being directed to install "SQL Server 2005 SP3" the platform and not "SQL Server 2005 EXPRESS EDITION SP3" the application for XP and Vista.

To obtain SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3181842a-4090-4431-acdd-9a1c832e65a6&displaylang=en

I used the 32-bit for the XP Pro computer.
    The EBS techs also directed me to a "Mr Fixit" that adjusted Windows Update to reflect a proper install. I did not bookmark this unfortunately.

I now have SQL Server 2005 EXPRESS EDITION as a new program on both Vista and XP Pro running. Windows Update no longer continously downloads and fails to install KB955706. 
    Express Edition of SQL Server 2005 handy little program that I now have. Express Edition is explained here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/express.aspx

Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:25 PM

All replies

• You receive this error when the previous upgrade has not completed successfully. If you view the log at %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\Hotfix\summary.txt you can get the instance with the issue. The message would be: "SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete. Start the Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the Change button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL instance [2] and complete the setup."

This might be one of the reasons you got 737D.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:17 AM
  • How do I view that file?  I go to the 90 directory, but there is no directory named Setup Bootstrap. 

I follow the Remote Registry instructions, but can't get to an instance 2.  I only have the option of a database.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Hi Mel,

How about the problems? If you still can not install SP3, please download from the Microsoft Download Center here

If you have more questions, please feel free to let us know, thanks.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Here's what I emailed to MS Support:

Frank,

Thank you for the clear instructions.  They are much easier to follow than the recommedations that I've found on the forum.  Simple is good for me. 
    I was able to complete "Step 1"
    Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    ==============================================

1. Visit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe

2. Please save the file on the Desktop.

3. Please double click the "msicuu2.exe" file to install it onto the computer. 

However, I was unable to complete "Step 2."

Step 2: Remove MSXML6 Service Pack 2 (KB954459)

I cannot locate "MSXML6 Service Pack 2 (KB954459) [6.20.1099.0]."  I do, however, notice a that I have "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition (ENU) [3.1.0000]" and "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition [9.3.4035.00]."  Should I have both? 

Please advise on what next steps to follow. 

Regards, 

Melvyn Naidas

I haven't gotten a reply since....

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:30 PM
  • I also have this problem。。。
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Hi all,

i have having problem installing SQL 2005 SP3. i got the error below and couldn't find any useful information on how to enble the hardware profile logon property..

Any idea?

MSP Error: 28112  Setup failed because Service MSSQLSERVER is disabled for the current hardware profile. Services must be set with the current Hardware Profile logon property profile enabled. For more information on how to enable the hardware profile logon property refer to the product documentation.

Thanks.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:15 PM
  • Hi Jeffrey and Ai King Keng,

You can post a new thread in the forum, it's benefit for us troubleshooting, thanks for your understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Thanks ChunSong, i have added to new thread - Fail to install SQL 2005 SP 3.

thanks.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:35 AM
  • I too have this problem and it seems that all the replies on this thread jump to a discussion of installing SP3 and avoid the question of the failing of installing KB970892. On my XP machine the installation just hangs. Did so now for about 10 minutes. It stops the service and then just does nothing. I get no error code. Xiangrong Chen: you are a MSFT, but the problem is not with 955706 or 948109 but with 970892. Any other suggestions?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:39 AM
  • My problem was: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) (Windows XP) I kept getting Error Code: 0x737D.  Then antivirus program NOD 32 kept notifying that it needed attention because this critical update needing installing.  I contact Microsoft support who are about to refer me to SQL Support.  However when searching for solutions I came across the following.  I followed these steps and the express did install (when I checked my computer event properties screen) but the computer still indicated I needed to download updates so I found the Mr. Fixit windows support page and a link to "adjust windows update".  The default fix (50202) did not work but I retried it using "aggressive" fix and this seems to have worked and has removed the yellow install needed icon and also the "install updates" on the shutdown  menu.  Thought I would pass this along to others.  **UPDATE** this change did not last.  The express is installed as shown on even screen however the "yellow shield" has now reappeared indicating update still needed.

I found my answer.
    I searched microsoft.com for answers about this failure of KB955706 to install when using "windows update."
    There were no answers for XP Pro and Vista (which are the platforms I am having trouble with. But, the guys at MicroSoft EBS (Esstential Business Server) are aware of the KB955706 install failure on their platform. As explained at:

http://blogs.technet.com/essentialbusinessserver/archive/2009/05/06/sql-2005-sp-3-kb-955706-fails-to-install-on-the-ebs-management-server.aspx

So, emailed them regarding the problem I have had for several months with KB955706 install failures. These fine people directed me to a way to install "SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3". Please note they said "EXPRESS EDITION" and not "SQL Sever 2005 SP3" which is an entirely different product/platform.  It seems most people are being directed to install "SQL Server 2005 SP3" the platform and not "SQL Server 2005 EXPRESS EDITION SP3" the application for XP and Vista.

To obtain SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3181842a-4090-4431-acdd-9a1c832e65a6&displaylang=en

I used the 32-bit for the XP Pro computer.
    The EBS techs also directed me to a "Mr Fixit" that adjusted Windows Update to reflect a proper install. I did not bookmark this unfortunately.

I now have SQL Server 2005 EXPRESS EDITION as a new program on both Vista and XP Pro running. Windows Update no longer continously downloads and fails to install KB955706. 
    Express Edition of SQL Server 2005 handy little program that I now have. Express Edition is explained here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/express.aspx

Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:25 PM
  • I also have this problem. I have been trying to download Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706) for ages and over and over with no success. Each time I dd so I received the error message 0x2B2F up until today when I tried to sort this with another one of the posts regarding this problem and have now ended when it says the update is successfully installed but then demands I download it again. I am at a complete loss with this and now throughout fed up.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Why is this still marked as a solution?  The OP clearly says says that not only does it not solve the problem, the solution offered is refers to a different software package.  This problem dates back to October 2009.   It is now June 2010.  I'm still having this problem: windows update keeps trying to install KB970892 and it fails every time.  I have no inclination to go routing through the registry in order to get an update to install.  There's no guarantee that won't just cause more problems.

Why hasn't Microsoft recalled this update and issued one that actually works?  Other updates have no problems stopping/starting services and automatically reconfiguring the registry to install themselves.  There is something wrong with this update.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:26 PM