none
sql server 2008 express r2 installation problems RRS feed

• Question

• I installed sql server 2008 r2 express on a standalone Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3 computer (C1). I could connect to the server.

I then tried to copy an sql server 2008 r2 express database from another computer (C2) by restoring a backup copy from C2 on C1. It didn’t work, I think, because the server names were different.

I then uninstalled sql server on C1, changed the computer name of C1 to match C2 (or perhaps I did it in reverse order). I then rebooted and reinstalled sql server on C1. During the installation I got the first of the two error messages shown below. I clicked Continue and completed the installation. When I tried to open sql server (from Management Studio) it would not connect to the database and I got the second error message.

My questions are:

1) How can I install sql server on C1, or how do I connect to the database?

2) How do I copy the sql server database from C2 to C1?

Error messages:

carl.g.b

Postscript 1:

After I submitted my question I saw that the the images changed to being illegible (they looked much better before I submitted). Hope somebody can explain to me how to use images in these messages. I saved pdf files as jpg files on my computer and uploaded them here.

The wording of the first error message is:

.NET Framework error message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for userSettings/Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.LandingPage.Properties.Settings: Could not load file or assembly ‘System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (C:\Documents and Settings\Main\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft_Corporation\LandingPage.exe_StrongName_ryspccglax

The second error message is Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53. The wording is:

Connect to Server

Cannot connect to MAIN-0AC8429624

Additional Information

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 – Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

End of the second error message

In the installation the Named Instance and the Instance ID was SQLExpress. The computer name of C1 is 0AC8429624. The user name on C1 is Main. I tried to connect with these server names: MAIN-0AC8429624 (that was the default); MAIN-0AC8429624\SQLEXPRESS; and SQLEXPRESS. Got the error message every time.

Postscript 2: Just found out how to connect: I used the browser in the connect window to find the database. It was 0AC8429624\SQLEXPRESS. Now there is only the question left of how to get an sql server 2008 r2 express database from C2 into sql server 2008 r2 express on C2. But maybe that requires a separate thread.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 12:00 AM

All replies

• It didn’t work, I think, because the server names were different.

I then uninstalled sql server on C1, changed the computer name of C1 to match C2 (or perhaps I did it in reverse order).

Postscript 2: Just found out how to connect: I used the browser in the connect window to find the database. It was 0AC8429624\SQLEXPRESS. Now there is only the question left of how to get an sql server 2008 r2 express database from C2 into sql server 2008 r2 express on C2. But maybe that requires a separate thread.

Hello Carl,

Renaming the computer wasn't a goog idea and won't solve anything. See also Rename a Computer that Hosts a Stand-Alone Instance of SQL Server how to fix the problem with the name

For a database the server name doesn't matter in any way.
    What is current problem to attach/restore the database on the other server, what exact error message do you get

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, November 23, 2012 5:20 AM
  • Hello Olaf,

What I want to achieve is this: Copy a database from computer C2 to computer C1. Both computers are standalone and use Windows XP Professional SP3. On both computers sql server 2008 r2 express is installed. The sql server on C1 has no databases except for the systems databases.

What I did was: Did a backup of the database on C2, and copied the backup file from folder Backup on C2 to folder Backup on C1. I then created a new database on C1 with the same name as the database on C2. When I then tried to restore on C1 I could not see the backup file, perhaps  because the server on C1 doesn’t have the same name as the server on C2.

carl.g.b

Friday, November 23, 2012 5:10 PM