none
Unable to login to Sql Server after installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have installed Sql Server 2014 on one of my windows server. Since the port 1433 is not open, I have changed the port to another port on the network configuration TCP/IP. when I try to login for the first time, it is not taking either windows or sql authentication. It is throwing login failed for user.

I have tried everything, but still continue to have this error.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Srikant Mishra

Srikant Mishra

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:19 PM

All replies

• Hey Srikant,

For this solution, I hope this will help. Sure this is what you look for:

http://lexisnexis.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1086551/~/enabling-mixed-mode-authentication-and-enabling-the-system-administrator-login

If this does not resolve your problem. Check the more technical one, to connect with the SQL S 2014 on your OS. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/troubleshoot-connecting-to-the-sql-server-database-engine?view=sql-server-2017

May I kindly ask, what OS is your physical hosting running your SQL server?

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:25 PM
  • So you get "Login failed for user xyz"? Then you are reaching SQL server, and the ports have nothing do with it.

Look in the SQL Server errorlog, which in a default installation is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\LOG\Errorlog

There is more detailed information why the login attempt failed.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:27 PM
  • Yes...I am using "instance name,port" and getting this error. If I use a different port, I get different error at all.

Srikant Mishra

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:56 PM
  • The OS is windows 2012. I have clicked on mixed mode while installing and added my windows id and sa id and password while installing.

Srikant Mishra

Monday, April 15, 2019 9:58 PM

• I have changed the port to another port on the network configuration TCP/IP.

Where did you enter the new port number? Maybe you updated the dynamic port field (TCP Dynamic Ports under IPAll) and it got changed on the next reboot. Do you have browser service running? Can you try connecting without specifying the port number? 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Monday, April 15, 2019 10:37 PM
  • Check the errorlog file for the reason why you can't login.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 6:52 AM
  • Hi Srikant Mishra,
    As the others mentioned, could you please share your detail error message for analysis? 
    Best regards,
    Cathy Ji

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:20 AM
  • check your mssql port is running and check you able login in mssql.share event viewer and error message.

netstat -abn

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:35 AM