sp_updatestats fails to run with 'permission' error under dbo-priveleged user RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm trying to run sp_updatestats by user having db_owner membership in current database. According to BOL 'sp_updatestats' entry:

Requires membership in the sysadmin fixed server role, or ownership of the database (dbo).

Still i receive error:

Msg 15247, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_updatestats, Line 15

User does not have permission to perform this action.

Hmm. Is it some sort of bug? Or do i miss anything?

p.s.

select @@version

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3050.00 (Intel X86)   Mar  2 2007 20:01:28   Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

Sunday, July 27, 2008 11:29 AM

Answers

• I ran into the same thing this morning.  The thread below suggests it's a bug in sp_updatestats.  Apparently the sp is looking for the account to run sp_updatestats to be a member of sysadmin server role, or, THE dbo rather than a member of db_owner database role. 

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forumarchives/SQLServerprogramming/Jun2005/post23402374.asp

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Another option is to create a stored procedure using the "execute as" clause and assign exe permission to the user that needs to update stats:

create procedure dbo.up_updstats

with execute as 'dbo'

as

exec sp_updatestats

go

grant execute on dbo.up_updstats to [<user>]

go

cheers

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:19 AM

All replies

• Assure that the user is a member of the sysadmin role:

Code Snippet

WITH roles

AS

(

SELECT role_principal_id rlid

FROM sys.server_role_members sm JOIN sys.server_principals sp

ON sm.member_principal_id = sp.principal_id

WHERE sp.[name] = (SELECT SUSER_NAME())

)

SELECT [name]

FROM sys.server_principals sp

WHERE principal_id = (SELECT rlid FROM roles)

Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:29 PM
  •  

User is NOT a member of sysadmin server role, i can tell you without scripts Smile

Well, script returned empty resultset anyway.

As i've mentioned earlier, user is member of db_owner though. And according to BOL that should be enough.

• Proposed as answer by Vrell Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:09 PM
    Monday, July 28, 2008 5:15 AM
  • I ran into the same thing this morning.  The thread below suggests it's a bug in sp_updatestats.  Apparently the sp is looking for the account to run sp_updatestats to be a member of sysadmin server role, or, THE dbo rather than a member of db_owner database role. 

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forumarchives/SQLServerprogramming/Jun2005/post23402374.asp

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Another option is to create a stored procedure using the "execute as" clause and assign exe permission to the user that needs to update stats:

create procedure dbo.up_updstats

with execute as 'dbo'

as

exec sp_updatestats

go

grant execute on dbo.up_updstats to [<user>]

go

cheers

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:19 AM