none
SQL Server with huge databases on local storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I have a server which has very high data size 6 TB databases and increasing every year. it is kind of a data warehouse

which also require older data to be available together. 

this  is all residing on a local storage instead of a SAN storage, I believe rack has limitation so there are no more options to scale up storage anymore, according to my understanding SAN storage has functionality of storage scaling up as per our requirement.

is it the right choice to recommend migrate to SAN storage from local storage or better option to move on to the Azure cloud ?

SQL Server DBA

Monday, June 24, 2019 9:30 AM

All replies

• Moving 6 TB database to azure cloud needs lot of thinking. If not required I would keep it on premise with SAN storage. I mean it is upto you if you can pay a huge amount of running powerful VM on azure or if you want to use Hyperscale then it is up to you but if you go to PaaS you loose lot of features

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, June 24, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Hi Zeal DBA,

Design storage architecture based on capacity and I/O requirements. Any storage architecture must support your availability needs.

SAN is an architecture to attach remote computer storage devices (such as disk arrays and tape libraries) to servers in such a way that the devices appear as locally attached to the operating system.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:36 AM