none
Running Mobile reports of Azure VM RRS feed

• Question

• I have created my first mobile report on my local SQL 2016 installation. Now I want to try the same report from a VM running on Azure. The VM has SQL 2016 RTM. Can someone please point to a document or something for moving my report to the cloud and running it from it?

Thanks

• Edited by markgoldin Sunday, July 24, 2016 9:21 PM
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi markgoldin,

Assume you create a mobile report in local machine which uses a shared data source and shared dataset point to the local machine database, then after moving the mobile report to Azure VM, if you are not able to access local machine, then the mobile report can't display data as it can't retrieved data from local machine report server.

But if you modify the mobile report to display data retrieved from the Azure VM database after moving to Azure machine, then you needn't to build network between local machine and Azure VM.

Best Regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi markgoldin,

In your scenario, you need to build network firstly between local machine and Azure VM to make sure the user can access local machine web portal from Azure VM. Regarding how to configure communication, you can post a thread in Azure VM forum at this link: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows.

Then you can download the mobile report from local machine web portal. Copy the report to Azure VM, open the report in SQL Server Mobile Report Publisher, add the server connection which connects to local machine web portal. Then save this mobile report to Azure VM web portal.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Monday, July 25, 2016 9:15 AM
  • Why do I need to access local machine web portal from Azure VM? I thought to copy/publish my report and its data sources to VM's web portal, open a data source over there and modify to get data from VM's database. I am doing this for a demo purposes, it's not really important that data for the report won't be real time data.

Thanks

Monday, July 25, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Hi markgoldin,

Assume you create a mobile report in local machine which uses a shared data source and shared dataset point to the local machine database, then after moving the mobile report to Azure VM, if you are not able to access local machine, then the mobile report can't display data as it can't retrieved data from local machine report server.

But if you modify the mobile report to display data retrieved from the Azure VM database after moving to Azure machine, then you needn't to build network between local machine and Azure VM.

Best Regards,
    Qiuyun Yu

Qiuyun Yu

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 9:40 AM