none
CREATE SESSION CUBE command by Excel Grouping creates a shadow copy on the server disk - storage running out of memory

Question

• Dear all.

If you done grouping in excel the client creates a session cube with the following MDX.

CREATE SESSION CUBE [<Cubename>_XL_GROUPING1]....

This session cube will be created physically on the disk. So the report is very complex it runs into the problem that for e.g. 8 sheets 8 shadow copies on the server disk are created and the SSAS database became forth time larger. Our cube has a size of 170 Gybte. After a while the server is running out of resources, so how can we restrict or disable this behavior?

Before this issue I thought SSAS will read only from the DATA folder and writes only to disk during processing. But actually this is not the case.

Cheers,

Nils

Friday, February 21, 2014 4:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Nils,

Thank you for your question. 

I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 7:57 AM
  • Hi.

I added this also to connect including an example in Adventure Works.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/822778/excel-grouping-create-session-cube-breaks-ssas-envirounment-because-of-phyically-copy-the-cube-data-for-every-pivot-table

Cheers,

Nils

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Hi, Nils

This feature will be evaluated in the new version of SQL Server. So currently in this version, there will be no enhancement or change.

Thanks.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:28 AM