none
Internal Error 500 and The Report Server Not Responding

Question

• I'm about to give up the ghost here.. I've got Reporting Services installed, the IIS default website is accessible, and it appears the virtual directories "Reports" and "ReportServer" are there, but when I try to access either of these paths via a browser I get the following:

Reports - "The report server is not responding. Verify that the report server is running and can be accessed from this computer."

ReportServer - Internal Error 500

When reviewing the logs I see this:

"w3wp!ui!7!9/1/2010-11:13:39:: e ERROR: The report server is not responding. Verify that the report server is running and can be accessed from this computer.

w3wp!ui!7!9/1/2010-11:13:40:: e ERROR: HTTP status code --> 500"

I've tried the start stop of ReportServices and IIS...no good...

I've checked all permissions and can't seem to find any that are lacking... 

I'm running this on SQL Server 2005 (64bit edition), on a Windows 2008 R2 server... any help would be appreciated... I'm getting gray hairs as I type this :-)

Jill

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Jill,

Usually, in a SQL Server Reporting Services scenario, the error HTTP 500 occurs when:

• The Reporting Services service is not running
    • The application pool the Reporting Services is running under is not running
    • The ASP.NET for the Internet Information Server(IIS) is 32bit version, however the Reporting Services is 64bit version

So, to fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Make sure the Reporting Services service is running from SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    2. Make sure the status of the Reporting Services is "Start" from the Reporting Services Configuration Manager.
    3. Make sure the application pool for the Reporting Services is running from the IIS.
    4. Register the 64bit ASP.NET:
       a. In IIS Manager, click Web Server Extensions.
       b. In the Details pane, right-click ASP.NET V2.0.50727, and then click Allow.
       c. Right-click Web Sites, and then click Properties.
       d. Click the ISAPI Filters tab.
       e. In the Filter Name column, click ASP.NET_2.0.50727, and then click Edit.
       f. Make sure the path is C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_filter.dll
       g. Click OK two times, and then close IIS Manager.
       h. At a command prompt, run the following command:
              cscript %SystemDrive%\inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs set w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 0

Besides, could you please help to check if there is any error in the System log? This may help us to solve the issue too.

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Thanks for the information. I think we might have narrowed it down...

When I try to do the steps for the 64bit ASP.net... there is no "Web Server Extensions" listed in the IIS manager... just to double check.. this is what I've done to access IIS Manager.

Logon to the Windows 2008 R2 server.

Open Server Manager, under Roles, click Web Server (IIS) then IIS Manager.

Click on Default Web Site... none of the items listed in any of the virtural directorys have "Web Server Extensions" listed.

I've run the command line you provided once already.. (sorry forgot to tell you that)...

Also, no error messages in the Event Viewer under System.

jill

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 3:23 PM
  • In looking at your instructions I realized that they were probably for II6 and I'm using IIS7.. I found the ISAPI filters in IIS7, and it has two listings, which I am assuming one is 32 bit, and one is 64 bit:

Asp.net_2.0.50727.0 (points to %windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_filter.dll

Asp.net_2.0.50727-64 (points to %windir%\Microsoft.Net\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_filter.dll

I tried removing the 32 bit filter, and still had no changes in accessing the ReportServer site.

Jill

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Hi Jil,

Could you please help to collect the detailed error message? This will help us to solve the issue.

By default, we can find the logs from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.<X>\Reporting Services\LogFiles

Thanks,
    Jin Chen

Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 12:23 PM
  • Jill,

I had the same error message: HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
    I'm running MS SQL 2008 R version.

The issue I had was related to not enough disk space.
    I resovled the issue by moving database files to a different disk drive on the server which had much more free disk space.

-Victor

• Proposed as answer by Viktor1 Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:49 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Jill,

I had the same error message: HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
    I'm running MS SQL 2008 R version.

The issue I had was related to not enough disk space.
    I resovled the issue by moving database files to a different disk drive on the server which had much more free disk space.

-Victor

Worked for me. Thanks :)
    Monday, January 18, 2016 3:10 PM