none
CHECKDB after snapshot creation - normal ? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it normal for SQL Server to do a CHECKDB on a snapshot after the snapshot was created ? 

There is a powershell script at my customer site that runs snapshots each hour and today i see in the error log that its doing CHECKDB for 2 snapshots .. the CHECKDB finishes without errors. 

but why it doesnt run a checkdb for all? or why it starts to do a checkdb for these 2 snapshots this afternoon ? 

ilikefondue

Friday, October 11, 2019 2:48 PM

Answers

• Can you post the relevant extract of the errorlog? My aasumption would be that someone is running DBCC CHECKDB manually, but I could be wrong.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:00 PM

All replies

• Can you post the relevant extract of the errorlog? My aasumption would be that someone is running DBCC CHECKDB manually, but I could be wrong.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:00 PM
  • How are you scheduling the integrity checks?  If using a maintenance plan task - and that is set to select all user databases then it could also be selecting database snapshots.

If that is the case - then you need to either select individual databases or you need to use a script to filter out databases that should not be selected.

Jeff Williams

Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:18 PM
  • Hi ilikefondue,

Would you please show us the detailed message in error log? It seems that you  run DBCC checkdb on more than one database.

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:08 AM
  • There is a powershell script at my customer site that runs snapshots each hour

We don't know that PowerShell script and what it is doing, so ...

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:50 AM
  • replying late as i was off for a few days.. 

someone ran it manually

thanks for all the replies

ilikefondue

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Hi ilikefondue,

I am glad to know that your problem has been solved. In order to close this thread, please  mark useful replies as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:57 AM