none
Lightning Fast Hybrid RUNNING TOTAL - Can you slow it down?

Question

• You read it right! Usually we speed queries up, this time you are asked to slow it down!

For years the T-SQL forums/blogs were abuzz with the fast multiple assignment operator single-update RUNNING TOTAL. While it always calculates correctly, there is no guarantee that it follows the desired sort order since the database engine works on unordered sets. What is amazing about it, very hard to make it fail. Partitioned tables & parallel processing exluded.

The following hybrid RUNNING TOTAL does:
    1. Executes the fast single-update RUNNING TOTAL (0.7 sec execution time on average 500K rows)
    2. It tests the results ordering
    3. If not desired order, the control flow executes the Paul Nielsen (www.sqlserverbible.com) cursor WHILE method (21 sec 500K records) which guaranteed to work.

I put the single-update method through thousands of tests, it never flipped over to the Paul Nielsen method.

It would be nice to know when it fails, even if it is a statistical probability. Can you make it flip over to the Paul Nielsen method (fail the ordering test)?

Can you help?

Thanks.

-- T-SQL HYBRID RUNNING TOTAL calculation 
    -- Try Fast Method; if does not work, do slow method  
    -- SQL Server 2008 T-SQL code 
    USE tempdb; 

SELECT SalesOrderID = ROW_NUMBER() 
                            OVER ( 
                              ORDER BY (SELECT 1)), 
           OrderDate=CONVERT(date, OrderDate), 
           Sales=TotalDue, 
           RunningTotal=CONVERT(money, 0) 
    INTO   Sales 
    FROM   AdventureWorks2008.Sales.SalesOrderHeader 
           CROSS JOIN AdventureWorks2008.HumanResources.Department 
    ORDER  BY SalesOrderID DESC 

-- (503,440 row(s) affected) 
    -- Build clustered index to help the database engine 
    -- DESC sort is used for demo purposes only 
    CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX idxSOID 
      ON Sales (SalesOrderID DESC) 

DECLARE @RunningTotal money = 0.0 

BEGIN -- SINGLE-UPDATE FAST RUNNING-TOTAL 
        DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS 

SET @RunningTotal = 0.0 

UPDATE Sales 
        SET    @RunningTotal = RunningTotal = @RunningTotal + Sales 
        OPTION (MAXDOP 1) 
    -- 1 sec 
    END 

-- CHECK if RunningTotal is SalesOrderID order 
    -- IF not in desired order, perform the Paul Nielsen cursor WHILE method 
    IF 0 != (SELECT NoMatchInOrderCount=count(*) 
             FROM   (SELECT ID1 = ROW_NUMBER() 
                                    OVER ( 
                                      ORDER BY SalesOrderID DESC), 
                            ID2 = ROW_NUMBER() 
                                    OVER ( 
                                      ORDER BY RunningTotal ASC) 
                     FROM   Sales) x 
             WHERE  ID1 != ID2) 
      BEGIN 
          -- PAUL NIELSEN method http://www.sqlusa.com/bestpractices2005/runningtotalusingcursor/
           DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS 

SET NOCOUNT ON 

DECLARE @SalesOrderID INT, 
                  @Sales        MONEY 

SET @RunningTotal = 0 

DECLARE cRun CURSOR FAST_FORWARD FOR 
            SELECT SalesOrderID, 
                   Sales 
            FROM   Sales 
            ORDER  BY SalesOrderID DESC 

OPEN cRun 

FETCH cRun INTO @SalesOrderID, @Sales -- prime the cursor  
          WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0 
            BEGIN 
                SET @RunningTotal = @RunningTotal + @Sales 

UPDATE Sales 
                SET    RunningTotal = @RunningTotal 
                WHERE  SalesOrderID = @SalesOrderID 

FETCH cRun INTO @SalesOrderID, @Sales -- fetch next  
            END 

CLOSE cRun 

DEALLOCATE cRun 
      -- 22 seconds 
      END 

GO 

SELECT TOP (10) * 
    FROM   Sales 
    ORDER  BY RunningTotal ASC 
    GO 

/* 
    SalesOrderID  OrderDate  Sales    RunningTotal 
    503440  2004-07-31      209.9169  209.9169 
    503439  2004-07-31      34.2219    244.1388 
    503438  2004-07-31      82.8529    326.9917 
    503437  2004-07-31      93.8808    420.8725 
    503436  2004-07-31      46.7194    467.5919 
    503435  2004-07-31      149.4292  617.0211 
    503434  2004-07-31      32.5754    649.5965 
    503433  2004-07-31      5.514    655.1105 
    503432  2004-07-31      88.9194    744.0299 
    503431  2004-07-31      23.7465    767.7764 
    */ 
    DROP TABLE tempdb.dbo.Sales  

Kalman Toth
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2016

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:40 PM

All replies

• There is a note in one of Itzik's books that says (I omitted one sentence about SELECT * behavior)

"Note Although SQL doesn't assume any given order to a table's rows, it does maintain ordinal positions for columns based on creation order. Specifying SELECT *  guarantees the columns would be returned in creation order. In this respect SQL deviates from the relational model"

Abdallah, PMP, ITIL, MCTS
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:03 AM
  • . Specifying SELECT *  guarantees the columns would be returned in creation order. In this respect SQL deviates from the relational model"

Thanks Abdallah. You think that is the connection to the single-update RUNNING TOTAL?
    Kalman Toth, SQL Server & BI Training, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS; http://www.SQLUSA.com
    I think it's the reason for getting the same order all the time and that's why you are never getting to the CURSOR. What do you think?Do you see any other reason?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:56 AM
  • I didn't do thousands, but did a few, and same results. It's not getting to the CURSOR.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:19 AM
  • How about timing? I got 0.7 sec for 500K rows (UPDATE statement only, excluding prep & ordering check). Simply amazing speed!
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Well, it's taking 3 seconds on my computer, but I have SQL Express at the momenet running on Windows XP.
    It is the Clustered Index that is causing this fast update.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Well, it's taking 3 seconds on my computer, but I have SQL Express at the momenet running on Windows XP.
    It is the Clustered Index that is causing this fast update.

For a free product that is not bad. Can you test the cursor WHILE for execution time also?  My ratio is 1:30.

Thanks.
    Not bad on my machine, 1:38 seconds
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:17 AM
  • I excluded DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS in my previous test. I included it now and it ran in 1:24 secs
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:20 AM
  • No luck. I removed the ORDER BY and used a derived table hoping to get random order somehow but no luck

SELECT * 
    INTO Sales

FROM
    (
    SELECT	SalesOrderID = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY (SELECT 1)),
    		OrderDate=CONVERT(date,OrderDate), Sales=TotalDue, 
    		RunningTotal=CONVERT(money,0) 
    FROM AdventureWorks.Sales.SalesOrderHeader
    CROSS JOIN AdventureWorks.HumanResources.Department

--ORDER BY SalesOrderID DESC 
    ) AS X

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:59 AM
  • There is a note in one of Itzik's books that says (I omitted one sentence about SELECT * behavior)

"Note Although SQL doesn't assume any given order to a table's rows, it does maintain ordinal positions for columns based on creation order. Specifying SELECT *  guarantees the columns would be returned in creation order. In this respect SQL deviates from the relational model"

Isn't this talking about the columns always coming out in the order col1, col2, col3, etc., and doesn't this quote have nothing to do with the order of the rows?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:24 PM

Isn't this talking about the columns always coming out in the order col1, col2, col3, etc., and doesn't this quote have nothing to do with the order of the rows?
    Hmm, you think so Kent? 
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Kent,

What is your take on it? Could it be forced fail? Maybe if executed million times?  Or different column structure?

Hunchbank thinks that the clustered index is essential for the single-update RUNNING TOTAL to work as expected.

To All: The multiple assignment operator single-update RUNNING TOTAL always calculates correctly. The issue is that UPDATE does not take ORDER BY, so there is no guarantee that the order of totaling is correct for example OrderDate ASC.
    Kalman Toth
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2016

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Here are a couple of posts:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/522af80f-4e77-4160-9835-ca317d69aaf6/
       http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/31afc25a-b5e4-4f92-b574-ebb524c60150/
          Umachandar

Look in particular at the second one in which both Uma and Jens talk about making the update serializable.  I have never witnessed a failure of this kind of code.  Also, if you will look around at some of my older posts you will see that I have used the update extensions as a method of doing this kind of update; however, in those posts I didn't make the posts serializable so I am not sure of the real impact.  What I can tell you is that this is not a supported feature and is subject to change without notice -- use at your own risk.  Presently I am not using this in any production code.  I would certainly be willing to do this for 1-offs if the dominating requirement were performance, but I can also say that I like the idea of the hybrid code that guarantees correctness; I will have to give this a try.  Also, I have taken advantage of this kind of extensions since my Sybase days -- probably going all the way back to 1991.  Therefore, I would say that although this feature is undocumented and supported it has one other adjective that I would choose for an attribute: venerable.

Also, if you look around you will find at least one MVP that is adamant about the positives of this method because the improvement is night and day.

Also, look at this thread from 2006 by William Lowers:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/dd4252dc-8281-4594-aa32-d233619ef7b2

Give a look at the heart of the method presented by Jared Ko

Also, note that the execution time went from about 40 hours to about 3-5 minutes.

Also look at Jared's comments: "... AFAIK, it's undocumented but it works in SQL 2005 as well so you're safe for a little while.  ..."

Well, that was three years ago and we are now beyond SQL Server 2005.

What I worry about is whether this venerable, undocumented feature has much remaining as far as shelf life is concerned.  For the most part I have "retired" the use of this feature.  I worry that if you use this feature that your code will be forced into "early retirement" -- and not on your terms but under unfavorable terms.

BUT!  If you use this with the watchdog you are describing there may be more life in this old code.

I cannot check this out today, but I will give it a look

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Check "The Rules" section directly in this article http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/68467/
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Check "The Rules" section directly in this article http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/68467/

Jeff has beat this issue to death and has a very thorough understanding of the issues and everything in the rules is on target.  I would suggest that if you follow Jeff's rules you should be in good shape.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Thanks Kent. I reinforced it one of Jeff Moden's suggestion - avoid parallelism (edited the original post).
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 7:12 PM
  • I broke it. I tested on a partitioned table...
    Peso,

Thanks for trying.

If you look at the last link Kent provided, Jeff Moden's 3. rule: no partitioned table.

BTW: I am getting more and more impressed with the single-update RUNNING TOTAL...it takes parallel processing or partitioned table to break it...must be real solid for sequential processing with regular table....

Monday, December 7, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Thanks, using this technique I solved a similar problem.

DECLARE @T TABLE (Id INT, VALUE BIGINT)

INSERT @T
    SELECT 1, 5
    UNION ALL SELECT 1, 7
    UNION ALL SELECT 2, 15
    UNION ALL SELECT 3, 9
    UNION ALL SELECT 3, 154
    UNION ALL SELECT 3, 1
    UNION ALL SELECT 3, 14
    UNION ALL SELECT 4, 195
    UNION ALL SELECT 4, 12

We'd want to see this result:

Id Product
    1 35
    2 15
    3 19404
    4 2340

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:41 AM
  • You can also solve that problem this way:

select Id,Product=exp(sum(log(Value)))
    from @T
    group by Id

--Brad (My Blog)
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:16 AM

Jeff has beat this issue to death and has a very thorough understanding of the issues and everything in the rules is on target.  I would suggest that if you follow Jeff's rules you should be in good shape.

Heh... and they tried to beat Jeff to death in the process. ;-)  Thanks for the leg up, Kent.
    --Jeff Moden
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:06 AM
  • Thanks Kent. I reinforced it one of Jeff Moden's suggestion - avoid parallelism (edited the original post).

Kalman, thanks for starting such a friendly post on this method.  It's a real pleasure to see other folks testing it for all it's worth.  I also think that it's very cool that you built in validation of the results with a backup method in case of failure.

As a side bar, you might want to add a few of the other rules I presented in my article to your good code just to further reduce the chances of anything going wrong in the future.  Heh... of course, it HAS survived every hot fix, CU, SP, and major release since the original release of SQL Server and all the changes to Sybase before that but it's good to have a backup plan and an edge.

--Jeff Moden
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:16 AM
  • At least for now. It is superfast and works almost all the times. As of now.
    Who knows when the algorithm will change in next service pack? Or next version?

But until then I use it too, when no other method can compete. But I document it very clearly where I use this technique, if it fails in the future.

Hi Peso...

Man, you're everywhere.  Hope you have the time to drink a good beer now and then. ;-)

Except for when the rules aren't followed (like allowing parallelism or running on a partition, etc), it's worked 100% for all the implementations of this type of code I've ever written never mind "almost all the times".  I agree... since it's mostly undocumented, it could break in the future... just like a lot of documented stuff has. ;-)  That's why I wrote tests into the original article on the subject and the rewrite.

--Jeff Moden
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Hi Jeff!

You know I am for methods and algorithms which are undocumented if they serve a purpose and are faster than any traditional method.
    You just have to document them if they break sometime in the future, so you can replace them.

See this in-depth article of MVP Kathi Kallenberger where she dissects another fast method of doing running total
    http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/writing-efficient-sql-set-based-speed-phreakery/

I wrote a blog post about the very matter (about using unsupported/undocumented features) here
    http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/peterl/archive/2010/02/10/Unsupported-andor-undocumented-features.aspx

And yes, we had a lot of beer and fun at european PASS in Neuss last week!

//Peter

Oh yes... I know that, Peter.  And you're one of the good guys, as well.  I went off on a bit of a tangent because I didn't want people to think they shouldn't use the "Quirky" update just because people speculate that it might-maybe-could-whatif break someday in the future.  I also didn't want people to think that it worked only "almost all the times".  Once properly setup, it works 100%  of the time.

Heh... I've see Kathi's fine article... Tony Davis asked me several questions about it in the publishing process.  He wanted to use my name in some post article review comments and I respectfully said "no" because it's her article and your code.  I will have to read your blog on the use of U2 features.  Knowing you, I'm sure it'll be great.

Thanks for the feedback, Peter.

--Jeff Moden
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 4:59 PM
  • IF 0 != (SELECT NoMatchInOrderCount=count(*)

FROM (SELECT ID1 = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY SalesOrderID DESC),
                 ID2 = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY RunningTotal ASC)
    FROM Sales ) x
    WHERE ID1 != ID2)

This is very easy to break. The logic above above assumes every runningtotal value is at least positive to get an increasing [unique] running total value.

It just takes ONE negative sales value in the running total to break it. Or at least force it into CURSOR mode.
    Or have two or more orders with $0 sales value. Then two or more records will "halt" on same running total value and these two or more records may not fit the same order every execution. The two or more records with same running total value will be randomly selected in the ID2 evaluation.

//Peter

I haven't done a deep dive on where that code is, but it also looks like it could be a performance crushing Triangular Join on top of everything else. 

--Jeff Moden
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Here are a couple of posts:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/522af80f-4e77-4160-9835-ca317d69aaf6/
       http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/31afc25a-b5e4-4f92-b574-ebb524c60150/
          Umachandar

Look in particular at the second one in which both Uma and Jens talk about making the update serializable. 

Wow... I took a look at the second post.  I've seen a lot of such posts and they always leave me wondering "why"?  Why do they NOT plan on multiple rows using an increment and why do they always return just one value instead of a set of values (ID's)?

As a side bar... the 3 part update IS documented in Books Online and IS supported.  It's the updating in clustered index order that's not documented.  Lookup the syntax for UPDATE.

--Jeff Moden
    Monday, April 26, 2010 5:38 AM
  •  it HAS survived every hot fix, CU, SP, and major release since the original release of SQL Server and all the changes to Sybase before that but it's good to have a backup plan and an edge.
    --Jeff Moden

Jeff,

Sybase? Must have been pretty good internal algorithm not requiring change in two decades!

I never used the multiple-assignment operator anywhere except here. Does it have other uses?

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQLUSA.com
    Monday, April 26, 2010 12:02 PM
  • Yep... SyBase.   The 3 part update in the Rushmore engine has been around as long as UPDATE has... just like having two FROM clauses in UPDATE has.  Along with the ability to overwrite the content of variables in the same query, both are, IMHO, huge advantages of SQL Server and SyBase over other DB engines.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 12:33 PM
  • You can also solve that problem this way:

from @T

group by Id

--Brad (My Blog)

Brad,

could this lead to a wrong result?

Abdallah El-Chal, PMP, ITIL, MCTS
    Monday, April 26, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Yes for negative and 0 values. Take a look at

http://forum.lessthandot.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=9930&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

where we discussed this exact topic as a programmer's puzzle.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

My blog
    Monday, April 26, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Brad,

could this lead to a wrong result?

Abdallah El-Chal

See my follow up. if the data is zero or negative you will get error due to LOG has no value for zero or negative values.

Thanks Peso,

Sorry I didn't follow the entire thread and yours was couple of posts down.

Sorry I didn't clarify. I didn't mean any numbers below 1 as you'll start getting negative logarithm beased on natural logarithm(below log(1)), but I meant on positive integers. Will this always work? Could it cast any number to the wrong integer?

Abdallah El-Chal, PMP, ITIL, MCTS
    Monday, April 26, 2010 1:39 PM
  • . Will this always work? Could it cast any number to the wrong integer?

Always? Not likely. It has an impressive range though. Demo follows.

-- Replace multiplication with sum of log
    DECLARE @T TABLE (Id INT, VALUE BIGINT)
    INSERT @T
    SELECT 1, 5
    UNION ALL SELECT 1, 7
    UNION ALL SELECT 2, 15
    UNION ALL SELECT 3, 9
    UNION ALL SELECT 3, 154
    UNION ALL SELECT 3, 1
    UNION ALL SELECT 3, 14
    UNION ALL SELECT 4, 195
    UNION ALL SELECT 4, 12
    UNION ALL SELECT 5, 2000000
    UNION ALL SELECT 5, 1000
    UNION ALL SELECT 6, 2000000
    UNION ALL SELECT 6, 20000
    UNION ALL SELECT 7, 2000000
    UNION ALL SELECT 7, 200000
    /*
    Id	Product
    1	35
    2	15
    3	19404
    4	2340
    5	2000000000
    6	40000000000
    7	399999999999.999
    */

from @T
    group by Id

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2016
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:14 AM
  • Nice test. My code works correctly (based on Jeff's idea):

DECLARE @Product BIGINT
    SET @Product = 1

--drop table #OrderedProduct
    CREATE TABLE #OrderedProduct (RowID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY, ID INT, VALUE BIGINT, Product BIGINT, ROW INT)

;with Product AS
    (SELECT ID,VALUE, CAST(0 AS BIGINT) AS Product, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY ID ORDER BY VALUE) AS ROW FROM @T)

INSERT INTO #OrderedProduct SELECT * FROM Product ORDER BY ID, ROW

UPDATE P SET @Product = P.Product = (CASE WHEN P.ROW = 1 THEN P.VALUE ELSE @Product END)* COALESCE(C.VALUE,1) FROM #OrderedProduct P

LEFT JOIN #OrderedProduct C ON P.ID = C.ID and P.ROW < C.ROW
    --drop table #orderedproduct

SELECT P.* FROM #OrderedProduct P WHERE P.RowID = (SELECT TOP 1 RowID FROM #OrderedProduct X WHERE P.ID =X.ID ORDER BY ROW DESC)

My blog
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:44 AM
  • I never used the multiple-assignment operator anywhere except here. Does it have other uses?

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQLUSA.com

Ah... sorry.  I didn't answer that question.  Yes... in SQL Server 2000 I would use it for what a lot of folks use ROW_NUMBER, RANK, DENSE_RANK, and NTILE for.  In my current line of work, I use it for managing the "bin" size of grouped files by file size.  For example, we have hundreds of thousands of relatively small files that need to be transmitted in groups that must not exceed a certain group size and there's currently no windowing function to make such assignments by group.  A "grouped" running total does this job quite nicely.

--Jeff Moden
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Yes, the sentence as it's written clearly refers to the column's order.

My blog
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Interesting blog on this topic by Andy Leonard

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/andy_leonard/archive/2011/03/08/t-sql-tuesday-aggregations-in-ssis.aspx

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 3:08 AM