none
passing data to SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• My existing reporting using pure HTML and .Net stuffs, now I'm trying to integrate SSRS into it.

The reason for this integration are:

- Able to generate PDF (ya, the head prefer "free" option)

- Too many report changes, hoping SSRS will ease the efforts in future

I used SSRS long time ago, so I know the general stuffs like RDL

Below are questions going to involve lots of my research efforts (and testing), so I'm looking for good feedback to minimize them:

- I don't expect the Reports to derive data from actual data source and perform querying. Data are feed directly from current system, as there are many data touch-up involved for reporting purpose.

So can I pass actual data from code to the SSRS via it's web service (or other better channel) ?

- current system using simple data object (class, List), generated by Entity Framework. I fully adopt disconnected data model. Nested data is expected

I believe I will need to use DataSet design in RDL, I can try manually work them out, but does it support nested data? I found no sample about this xml syntax.

Does SSRS custom assembly can provide dataset (data definition) as well? Coding definitely will be more easier for me at current stage.

If it does, I guess major effort adopting custom assembly will be better for me.

• Edited by Kelmen Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:33 AM
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Kelmen,

Based on my research, the SSRS web service owns several APIs to set and manage the datasource, such as SetItemDataSources, see Data Sources and Connection Methods. It is used to point the datasource on the report server for the reports. But rdl reports do not accept the actual data, and there is no such method to achieve it. You could find the supported datasource of SSRS here

Also, report data sets are not allowed to be passed to custom assemblies. It is not supported currently. 

SQL Server Reporting Services Custom Code Assemblies

Personally, I recommend you that submit this suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/ . If the suggestion mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to improve it in the later SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Best Regards,

Henry 

• Proposed as answer by Henry Jiang Friday, October 27, 2017 7:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kelmen Monday, October 30, 2017 8:17 AM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Kelmen,

Based on my research, the SSRS web service owns several APIs to set and manage the datasource, such as SetItemDataSources, see Data Sources and Connection Methods. It is used to point the datasource on the report server for the reports. But rdl reports do not accept the actual data, and there is no such method to achieve it. You could find the supported datasource of SSRS here

Also, report data sets are not allowed to be passed to custom assemblies. It is not supported currently. 

SQL Server Reporting Services Custom Code Assemblies

Personally, I recommend you that submit this suggestion at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/ . If the suggestion mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to improve it in the later SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Best Regards,

Henry 

• Proposed as answer by Henry Jiang Friday, October 27, 2017 7:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kelmen Monday, October 30, 2017 8:17 AM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 2:08 AM
  • I'm looking into RDLC now
    Monday, October 30, 2017 8:44 AM