none
SQLDumper

Question

• Hi

I have been reading KB 917825 about SQLDumper and have the following questions:

The article explains that we can automatically produce a dump in a clustered environement and explains how to set it up. It doesn't mention however how to set it up in a standalone environment . However it mentions the trace flags 2540 to 2559, is this what we need to set as they are also not documented?

Also there are various parameters in Analysis Services for the same thing which are not documented.

The reason for asking is because if we have a failure we would have to set this up and then wait for a second failure before we can analysis it. This would not please a few teams where I work.

Much appreciated

Steve

Thursday, June 8, 2006 10:04 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, where the Cluster Manager can be configured to automatically create a dump file for you, this automated functionality is not available in a standalone environment.  The cluster infrastructure provides the monitoring capabilities required to trigger the dump.

Friday, June 9, 2006 6:10 PM

All replies

• SQL Dumper is configured to work by default on a standalone SQL Server, and Analysis Services.

From SQL 2000 sp4 the default type of memory dump is a mini dump with indirect memory, which has sufficient data to diagnose a wide range of issues, and is very small - usually less than 1MB.

If you're running SQL Server 2005 and opted to send error reporting information to Microsoft during install these mini dumps will automatically be uploaded to Microsoft. 

Should you have a great deal of disk space available you can enable trace flag 2544, to produce a memory dump containing all memory in the process, and trace flag 2546 to have the dump include all threads.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 9:16 PM
  • Jerome

Thanks for the response. Another question. What is the default path where the dump file will go. If I need to use T2544 then the chances are I would have to direct it to a path with sufficient space. Thanks

Steve

Friday, June 9, 2006 11:07 AM
  • Unfortunately, where the Cluster Manager can be configured to automatically create a dump file for you, this automated functionality is not available in a standalone environment.  The cluster infrastructure provides the monitoring capabilities required to trigger the dump.

Friday, June 9, 2006 6:10 PM