none
How to attach or otherwise use sql-server-2016-samples.zip RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I downloaded the file in the title. When I unzipped it I found many folders each containing .sql files, readme files, etc. How can I attach them to my SQL Server or SQLSMS?

Thanks, - MyCatAlex

Friday, November 1, 2019 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Friend,

You cannot attach to a file. sql.

Come on:
    You can only attach the .mdf and .ldf files.

In your case it is a .sql file that is a script file.
    In this case, you have to execute the .sql file. If it is a small file, open it in SSMS and run it. It will create the objects and maybe even the database.

The .sql file you can open and edit if applicable.

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Database Analyst - Sql Server and Oracle]
    Friday, November 1, 2019 7:33 PM
  • Thanks, however I need more. What if I create a database for .sql files and define columns and put those files in the records, etc. Would it be helpful in a sense that I can use those files productively?

Thanks, - MyCatAlex

Saturday, November 2, 2019 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

Can you link me to the source of this zip file where you downloaded it from?  .sql files can have scripts to create DBs and schema, populate data etc.  So without seeing the files, its hard to know what you're trying to achieve and what the files do.

Thanks,

Matt

Saturday, November 2, 2019 4:02 PM
  • Matt hello and thank you very much. I will have to look for that file and will come back as soon as I found the page.

Thanks, - MyCatAlex

Saturday, November 2, 2019 5:09 PM
  • Matt hi,

I cannot find it. I probably need more time. I thought it was in github but I cannot find it there either. Nothing like this happened to me before. Sorry, - MyCatAlex

Saturday, November 2, 2019 5:39 PM