none
Your upgrade is blocked.. when adding components to SQL 2005 Standard Edition SP1

Question

• Name: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools

Hello,

I am having a problem when trying to add the Client Components to an existing installation of SQL 2005 Standard Edition SP1 running on Windows 2003 Standard. The server was originally built with SQL 2005 Standard Edition and had SP1 installed at a later date. I am using the CD that SQL was originally installed with which is not a service packed copy of SQL. The reason given when clicking the details button is as follows:

Reason: Your upgrade is blocked. For more information about upgrade support, see the "Version and Edition Upgrades" and "Hardware and Software Requirements" topics in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

Build version check:

Your upgrade is blocked because the existing component is a later version than the version you are trying to upgrade to. To modify an existing SQL Server component, go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, select the component you would like to modify, and then click Change/Remove.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:24 AM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem here.
    Thursday, October 5, 2006 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

Do you know if Microsoft can provide a CD for SQL 2005 Standard Edition with SP1 as it is not possible to overlay the service pack files onto the original source? Please let me know if you have any success solving this as I'm soon going to be under pressure to rebuild the server with the additional components and then service pack, which sounds like a lot of hassle!

Regards

Steve

Friday, October 6, 2006 10:12 AM
  • You can only have one copy of Client Components installed on a machine. If setup blocks install/upgrade new copy of Client Components it is because there is already one copy installed. It is possible that the installed Client Components are from Express SKU. When you want to upgrade to higher SKU you have to use original installation media those are without SP. If you have Client Components already on SP level upgrade is blocked because installed product is higher version but if you want to perform SKU upgrade it is possible to do so but it means upgrading from lower SKU and higher version to higher SKU and lower version so after upgrade you have to apply SP. To perform such upgrade you have to specify SKUUPGRADE=1 on command line when you launching setup from the original media:

E:\Servers\setup.exe SKUUPGRADE=1

BTW: You should see this as a warning on System Configuration Check page.

• Proposed as answer by Barsotti Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:08 AM
    Friday, October 6, 2006 4:32 PM
  • I gave this a shot, but still couldn't get it to install.
    • I had SQL Express 2005 installed. 
    • Also have VS.NET 2005 installed. 
    • I uninstalled all components of SQL Server (but not VS.NET). 
    • Then I ran the SQL 2005 Developer CD and the Workstation components install failed with the message: Existing Components, etc.
    • It says I have already have version 9.1.2047.00 of the components installed.
    • Cancelled and repeated the install process with the SKUUPGRADE flag
    • Same Result.
    Any ideas?  It still seems to think I have SQL installed, but when I try to upgrade it doesn't work either.  I get this block in the Details about the failure:

Build version check:
    Your upgrade is blocked because the existing component is a later version than the version you are trying to upgrade to. To modify an existing SQL Server component, go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, select the component you would like to modify, and then click Change/Remove.

Edition check:
    Your upgrade is blocked because of edition upgrade rules. For more information about edition upgrades, see the Version and Edition Upgrades topic in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:43 PM
  • It looks like you machine might be in a confused state.  Try following the instructions to clean up you machine and then try again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909967

Michelle

Monday, October 23, 2006 5:46 PM
  • Hi Michelle,

Is this still the case? I have a two instance server with SP1 on each instance.
    I am trying to install the BIDS workbench and am getting the same issue.
    Attempted SKUUPGRADE =1  and this didn't work.
    Got this error message although System Configuration Checker SCC did pass ok.
    ================================
    Name: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools
    Reason: Your upgrade is blocked. For more information about upgrade support, see the "Version and Edition Upgrades" and "Hardware and Software Requirements" topics in SQL Server 2005 Setup Help or SQL Server 2005 Books Online.

Build version check:
    =================================
    I could possibly remove one of the instances but not the SMS server.
    Where do i go from here?

Regards,  Brian
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:50 AM
  • First go to Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP or Uninstall a program in Vista and select to uninstal SQL Server 2005. It will start the uninstall process but will let you choose what you want to uninstall. So select only workstation components. Uninstall them and then reinstall them from whereever you want. I had the same problem running SQL Server Management Studio Express and wanted to install the fully functional SQL Server Management Studio from SQL DVD and it was blocked. Removed everything from SQL Native client to workstation components, leaving only SQL Server 2005 database on the computer because I had online databases there. Install went on without a problem.

regards,

markoh

• Proposed as answer by Barsotti Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:09 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:16 PM
  • I'm having this same problem.  I have Visual Studio 2005 SP1 with SQL Server Express installed, and when I installed SQL 2005 Development edition the management tools would not install.

This seems to be an issue if you have SQL Server Express installed (it does not come with the management tools).  I have tried the suggestions given so far, but none of them work.  I finally uninstalled the sql mobile development tools that install with Visual Studio 2005 and reinstalled SQL Server 2005. This seems to work. 

I would recommend installing SQL 2005 before Visual Studio 2005 to avoid issues.  If you have to install SQL 2005 after VS 2005, follow the above procedure.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:02 PM
  • SKUUPGRADE did not work for me. Removing the Mobile Tools did not work for me.
    The only thing that did work for me was the "partial uninstall" procedure as described by markoh/mh8759:
    1. Add/Remove Programs | Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2005
    2. Select to only remove the client tools (unchecked remove existing instance)
    3. Start installation (I ran it fine without the SKUUPGRADE switch)
    My situation that had me blocked:
    Vista Ultimate x64
    default Visual Studio 2005 install (including SQL Express)
    VS2005 SP1 applied
    Trying to install SQLS2K5 Dev Edition x64

After following the partial uninstall of SQLServer Express (VS2005SP1), setup of the Dev Edition was able to continue.
    • Proposed as answer by Rachels1978 Monday, January 11, 2010 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:39 AM
  • Same problem on several servers with SQL Server SPII installed

Also same problem on server with Visual Studio installed

Had to uninstall Visual Studio

Had to Run setup SKUUPGRADE=1

Thanks for good advise

I belive MS could have done a better job - these problems must have induced millions of workhours 'round the world

I totally agree with John Bailey and would like to add:

Install ALL components of SQL Server BEFORE upgrading SP and BEFORE installing Visual Studio

Saturday, May 26, 2007 3:22 AM
  • Many thanks for your post. I have spent many frustrating hours on this problem until I stumbled on your solution.
    Friday, June 1, 2007 1:04 PM
  • We have a x64 install of sql2005 and when I get the error message 'your upgrade is blocked.... the screens indicatges that the version I have is 9.0.2047 but the sql error message tells me is version

LinkID 20476
    Product Name Microsoft SQL Server
    Product Version 9.00.1399.06
    Message Source setup.rll
    Message ID SQLSetup90
    EvtType 28108

di I have a different/biger problem???

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same issues with SQL Express Advanced SP 2 and Tools installed on Vista.  I followed the directions from mh8759 and was able to install the tools from the MSDN SQL Developer Edition CD.

Thanks for the pointer!

Jon
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:29 PM
  •  

I ran into a similar problem where the workstation components were installed from a SQL Express install and wern't removed during the uninstall. Running the following command allowed me to uninstall them:

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\ARPWrapper.exe /Remove"

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 4:07 PM
  • I managed to get SQL Server Management Studio 2005 installed after VS2005 + VS2008 by following FaulstiR's instructions to perform a simple partial uninstall first.

1. Run Add/Remove Programs
    2. Run 'Change' for just the SQL Server 2005 component.
    3. Select Common Components > Workstation Components.
    4. Click "Remove Microsoft SQL Server" (yeah, it's really OK).
    I can then run SQL 05 setup and select the "Management Tools" components from the Client Tools section of custom setup, giving me Management Studio but leaving all the VS2005 + VS2008 SQL components in place.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:04 AM
  • A prime example of sloppy MS programming. They can't spend a few hours to clean this up properly, so they cost thousands of users thousands of hours worth of time. Thanks a lot, MS!!

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Thanks markoh

it worked perfectly for me!!

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:38 PM
  •  FaulstiR wrote:
    SKUUPGRADE did not work for me. Removing the Mobile Tools did not work for me.
    The only thing that did work for me was the "partial uninstall" procedure as described by markoh/mh8759:
    1. Add/Remove Programs | Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2005
    2. Select to only remove the client tools (unchecked remove existing instance)
    3. Start installation (I ran it fine without the SKUUPGRADE switch)
    My situation that had me blocked:
    Vista Ultimate x64
    default Visual Studio 2005 install (including SQL Express)
    VS2005 SP1 applied
    Trying to install SQLS2K5 Dev Edition x64

After following the partial uninstall of SQLServer Express (VS2005SP1), setup of the Dev Edition was able to continue.

It works thank you very much, 

God bless you,

SD
    • Proposed as answer by SLanglie Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:14 AM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:30 PM
  • I also had this problem.  Pretty sure that SQL Server Express was installed (with Visual Studio 2008 most likely) prior to SQL 2005 Standard - and it was the "dumb" installer that has led to the problem.  Of course we all know that the installer should be able to handle this scenario...  The suggestions above were very helpful - but after a real battle, here's what I did:

copied to c: and tweaked template.ini, modifying:

SQLBROWSERAUTOSTART=1
    ADDLOCAL=Client_Components,SQL_Tools90,Connectivity
    UPGRADE=Client_Components

brought up command prompt and changed to the installation file directory and commanded:

• CD d:\SQL Standard 2005\Tools
    • start /wait setup.exe /qb /settings c:\template.ini
    I hope this helps someone. 
    • Proposed as answer by Evgeny4 Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:39 AM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:19 AM
  • I also had this problem.  Pretty sure that SQL Server Express was installed (with Visual Studio 2008 most likely) prior to SQL 2005 Standard - and it was the "dumb" installer that has led to the problem.  Of course we all know that the installer should be able to handle this scenario...  The suggestions above were very helpful - but after a real battle, here's what I did:

copied to c: and tweaked template.ini, modifying:

SQLBROWSERAUTOSTART=1
    ADDLOCAL=Client_Components,SQL_Tools90,Connectivity
    UPGRADE=Client_Components

brought up command prompt and changed to the installation file directory and commanded:

• CD d:\SQL Standard 2005\Tools
    • start /wait setup.exe /qb /settings c:\template.ini
    I hope this helps someone. 

This is the only thing that worked for me. I didn't actually have to modify template.ini, I simply ran the following command:

setup SKUUPGRADE=1 ADDLOCAL=Client_Components UPGRADE=Client_Components
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:44 AM
  • Thanks Marko!!! works for me ..
    Cinthia Junguitu - TCS
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:34 PM
  • markoh, FaulstiR, Evgeny4, et al:

Thanks much for the fix of all fixes - since I've been on this issue for over a day & reading countless other blogs

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:57 PM

• I had SharePoint 2007, installed on Server 2008 R2. The default instance of SQLExpress was installed and upgraded to SP3. I wanted to upgrade to SQL Standard.

However, I had to INSTALL the workstation components, and then UNINSTALL them.

After I did that, I was able to upgrade my SQL Instance. 

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:10 AM