none
SSRS with Oracle - What are my options? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm looking for advice on the following:

We have a software vendor who are building a solution for us and the backend is Oracle 11G.

The have a Datawarehouse built in Oracle and they will produce a series of Data Marts which will be used for Reporting.

Internally, we use SQL Server/SSRS/SSIS etc. and have no Oracle experience.

I'm looking for advice on what is the best options for building the Reports-

1. Should we migrate the Data Marts to SQL Server and build the Reports in SSRS/Power BI.

2. Should we build the Reports in SSRS/Power BI and just target the Data Marts in Oracle.

Are these valid options?

What other options are available?

Thanks.

CG

Monday, September 18, 2017 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi NuTech,

According to your description, you would like to know whether the Oracle Data Marts should be migrated to SQL Server for best options to build the report, right? It is not necessary to migrate the data marts from Oracle to SQL Server since SSRS supports the Oracle Data Source. 

To use data from an Oracle database in your report, you must you must have a dataset that is based on a report data source of type Oracle. This built-in data source type uses the Oracle Data Provider directly and requires an Oracle client software component.For detailed steps regarding connecting SSRS with Oracle datasource, please refer to 

Oracle Connection Type (SSRS)

Best Regards,

Henry 

• Proposed as answer by Henry Jiang Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:35 AM