none
The connection type "OLEDB" specified for connection manager is not recognized as a valid connection manager type - why? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have an SSIS package that I need to modify.  It was developed in Visual Studio 2005 and runs faithfully in production on SQL Server 2005.  Suddenly, I can't open the package on my own workstation.  I see a big red "X" image and a message stating "Microsoft Visual Studio is unable to load this document."  The real reason the document can't be loaded appears to be:

Error loading DataWarehouseLoader.dtsx: The connection type "OLEDB" specified for connection manager "Warehouse Logging OLE DB" is not recognized as a valid connection manager type. This error is returned when an attempt is made to create a connection manager for an unknown connection type. Check the spelling in the connection type name.

Does anyone know what causes this and what I can do?  The package has been in production for 9 months and I've never seen this problem before.

Thanks,

BCB

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:19 PM

All replies

• Do you have the OLE DB drivers installed for whatever connection type "Warehouse Logging OLE DB" points to?  Is it a SQL Server database, or is it some other engine?

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Yes, "Warehouse Logging OLE DB" points to a SQL Server 2005 database.  I developed the package on my workstation and edited and tested it successfully on my workstation as recently as last month.

I haven't done anything to intentionally remove my OLE DB driver.  How can I determine if the driver is present on my workstation?

Thanks.

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:51 PM
  •  BlackCatBone wrote:

Yes, "Warehouse Logging OLE DB" points to a SQL Server 2005 database.  I developed the package on my workstation and edited and tested it successfully on my workstation as recently as last month.

I haven't done anything to intentionally remove my OLE DB driver.  How can I determine if the driver is present on my workstation?

Thanks.

Well, create a new package using the OLE DB driver and see if it works.  Just something simple like an OLE DB Source to a row count transformation.

You haven't installed SQL Server 2008 CTPs or anything on your machine, have you?  Or any other changes?

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:03 PM
  • I created a new (and empty) SSIS project and then attempted to add an OLE DB Connection to it.  I got an error stating that the connection manager is not properly installed on this computer.  I tried adding flat file, ADO.NET, and OLAP connection managers and got the same message.

I haven't uninstalled any software since I was last able to edit the SSIS project in February.  I believe I have installed both the Microsoft SharePoint 2007 Designer and a trial version of the ASP.NET toolset sold by Intersoft.

I also found a post that provided a small console application that checks the Windows registry for permissions problems caused by software installations.  I ran the app and it didn't report any problems.

Can you suggest further steps in analyzing the problem?

Thanks for your help.

BCB

Monday, March 17, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Monday, March 17, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Yes, I read through the post and it seems to reduce to two possibilities:

1.  Run regsvr32 dtsconn.dll.  (I have and it didn't eliminate the error.)

2.  Uninstall Visual Studio and/or the operating system and install again.

The first option didn't work.  Are you suggesting that I'm down to the second option?  The funny thing is I have no problem using SQL Server Management Studio or other Visual Studio projects.  Is it possible to install just the OLE DB driver that SSIS is complaining about?  Is that a separately installable component?

Thanks,

BCB   

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:33 PM
  • You could try reinstalling the SQL Server native client.from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=50B97994-8453-4998-8226-FA42EC403D17&displaylang=en

It includes the OLE DB driver.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:57 AM
  • I installed the SQL Server native client "X86 Package (sqlncli.msi) - 3516 KB" successfully but it didn't help, I'm afraid.  My old package won't open so I tried creating a new package.  I'm still getting the message that any connection manager type (OLE DB, File, ADO.NET, etc.) I choose is not properly installed.

What are my options at this point?

Thanks...

BCB

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:39 PM
  • I guess you could try reinstalling the client components (BIDS, etc) from the SQL Server install disks.

• Proposed as answer by JoseProgrammer Friday, February 17, 2012 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:31 PM
  • We are using SQL 2008 and I solve this problem doing this :

SqlDBDataSource dsReport = new SqlDBDataSource();
                dsReport.ConnectionString = "here you put the connection string without the provider";

dsReport.SQL = "here you put the SQL Statement";
                myRpt.DataSource = dsReport;

• Proposed as answer by JoseProgrammer Friday, February 17, 2012 9:33 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 1:59 PM